GOAL Iraq programme was established in 2015 to respond to immediate humanitarian needs and support economic and livelihoods development. GOAL programmes in Dohuk support livelihood and economic development through a market systems approach including vocational and business training, small grants and technical support with a focus on the agricultural sector.
GOAL continues to seek to expand its programme in Iraq to meet humanitarian needs. This contract is for an initial period of 6 months with possibility of extension.
General description of the role
Overall the ACD-P is responsible for the development of the programme approach, guiding the programmes team and ensuring the quality of programme delivery. Experience in delivering quality programming, on time and on budget are key requirements of a successful applicant. Integrating service delivery between all three programming sectors and promoting evidence based programming which takes in to account a view of the system as a whole, is key to this position, as is a commitment to managing adaptively. Reporting into the Country Director, the ACD-P has responsibility for line-managing each of the sector leads as well as the Programme Development & Quality Manager and M&E Manager. The ACD-P has responsibility for ensuring that a cross-cutting agenda (Child Protection, Gender, Government Capacity building) is appropriately embedded in programme design and implementation.
- Direct line management of: Project Managers (PMs), Livelihood Program Manager, Programme Development & Quality Manager and the MEAL Coordinator.
- Ensure the efficient management of GOAL’s programme staff, working with Line Managers and HR to ensure that all staff have relevant objectives, job description and that performance reviews take place.
Proposal writing and reporting
Lead on proposal development from a programme perspective and coordinate and manage proposals, including proposal writing when needed
- Manage Programme Leads in all aspects of GOAL Iraq’s reporting activities to Head Office (HO) and donors.
- Ensure the production and submission of interim and final programme donor reports and monitor programme progress
- Ensure preparation and submission of monthly and annual programme reporting requirements
Oversee all programme implementation across all GOAL Iraq’s programme sites
- Directly manage Project Managers and technical team members
- Work with Technical program manager to ensure programmes are well designed, delivered on time and on budget, are appropriately monitored and evaluated and delivered as expected to our communities
- Provide leadership and direction in the design and delivery of GOAL Iraq’s programmes
- Ensure solid understanding of the needs, challenges and priorities of the current programme as well as understanding the next steps for the programme at a community level
- Ensure that GOAL is delivering to our communities of operation in an integrated and unified way, which involves leading regular and appropriate forums for information exchange across and between programme sectors, and effective grant and programme planning and management
- Support the development of in country expertise in each sector and supporting a national staff capacity building agenda
- Ensure GOAL policies and procedures for programme management are known and are being implemented.
- Chair regular planning and review meetings with programmes and operational/support staff
- Ensure joint work plans are developed and monitor implementation
- Support or lead on project activities in coordination with the programme manager
- Management of partners, including capacity building, with a focus on compliance, systems and procedures
- Know and ensure compliance with Donor requirements for projects
- Ensure tracking and timely submission of input to donor reporting.
- Oversee the management of the MEAL team
- Support the development of appropriate M&E and programme management tools and systems
- Work closely with the MEAL Co to develop internal mechanisms for knowledge management
- Improve the quality of services provided, through support supervision of key staff, analysis and dissemination of M&E data and lessons learnt, and review of GOAL and other best practice guidelines
- Provide direction and leadership in making GOAL Iraq CHS (former HAP) compliant
- Ensure the quality preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly or annual MEAL reports
Financial management and accountability
- Work closely with the Budget, Reporting and Compliance Manager and Program Budget Holders to ensure strong financial management of programme budgets
- Carry out detailed reviews of monthly management accounts and donor status reports with the FC
- Ensure and support Programme Leads (budget holders) to complete regular budget reviews and forecasts and have the information required for accurate budget management and planning.
- Assist where required with in-country donor financial audits.
Representation and senior management
- Represent GOAL in liaison with Government partners, regional and local authorities; donors; local agencies etc. at all levels of project implementation in collaboration with and as determined by the CD
- Actively participate in the Strategic Planning Group and Senior Management Team to provide overall leadership and direction to the programme
- Support in the development of policies aimed at improving quality and efficiency of programme
- Ensure GOAL policies and procedures as related to programmes to ensure GOAL and donor compliance
- Guide the development of publicity materials, including project and programme brochures, case studies and press releases
- Actively participate in donor and/or media visits to field activities
- Ensure logistics, HR and finance protocols are followed by all programmes team members, and collaborate closely with Internal Audit and Compliance & Ethics staff to ensure the integration of compliance concerns into the work of the programme department;
- Work with the Systems Director and the Logistics Coordinator to ensure appropriate logistics involvement at all stages of the programme cycle;
- Carry out other duties as requested by the Country Director.
- At least five years overseas experience gained in recovery and development settings;
- At least three years at a senior management level with demonstrable ability to lead a team of technical and support staff overseeing a large and complex programme;
- Experience of program implementation through partners by distance management.
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline;
- Demonstrable previous experience in programme planning, budgeting, implementation and review;
- Experienced and confident in representation with government at all levels, with institutional donors and with UN agencies and NGOs;
- Excellent management skills with the ability to quickly re-prioritise activities to meet the demands of the programme;
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills with the ability to lead teams to reach consensus on complex and/or divisive issues;
- Commitment to capacity building staff and nationalising positions where possible;
- Excellent presentation, oral and writing skills;
- Enthusiastic and willing to work as necessary to meet the needs of the programme.