Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Islamabad, Pakistan and reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader under the leadership of the Resident Coordinator
Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Assistant Development Coordination Officer, Data Management and Results Monitoring/Reporting will be responsible of the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of Functions:
- Provides analytical support for the development and implementation of UN Country Team (UNCT) data and research strategies
- Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships
- Contributes to the monitoring and reporting of UNCT results
- Supports knowledge management and capacity development
Description of Functions:
Provides analytical support for the development and implementation of the UNCT data and research strategies
- Assists in the design and implementation of the UNCT’s data and research strategy, in alignment with the Country Common Analysis (CCA) and UN Sustainable Development Framework/One Programme III (2018-2022);
- Undertakes empirical analysis, data mining and visualization, as assigned, to assist the Resident Coordinator (RC) and UNCT, including Outcome Groups/Results Groups, in developing reports and working papers on a range of sustainable development topics;
- Compiles and analyses information on the latest developments of the use of new types of data sources and tools (e.g. big data) for sustainable development;
- Provides analytical support to RC/UNCT in preparing and positioning the UN to accelerate the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the country, including the preparation of reports, as well as analytical and position papers
- Contributes to UNCT research and development of data and research tools and methodologies at the country level;
- Keeps abreast of emerging development issues to optimize UNCT’s analytical capacity to respond to national priorities;
- Contributes to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for UNCT’s research products;
- Administers UNINFO planning, monitoring and reporting system and contributes to the development of the One UN Country Results Report.
Assists in the development and expansion of strategic research and data partnerships, including with UN entities at regional and HQ level, government counterparts, research institutes, leading global thinkers on development, and civil society, among others:
- Supports the UN’s work with national data and statistical systems, facilitating engagement with national entities and data systems;
- Contributes to communication and coordination with existing partners and helps form new partnerships with UN agencies, academia, the private sector, and governmental agencies to further the use of data science for development.
- Contributes to communication and coordination with internal and external partners on data collection and project/research implementation;
- Assists in the convening of key thinkers on sustainable development and 2030 Agenda to provide inputs on, advise and steer the UNCT’s research and data agenda.
- Participates in strengthening the UNCT’s partnerships with research institutions and similar entities across the UN system though concrete collaboration on areas of the 2030 agenda.
Contributes to the monitoring and reporting of UNCT results under the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF):
- Supports inter-agency efforts on results and progress monitoring and reporting on the UN Sustainable Development Framework/One Programme III (2018-2022) and Joint Programmes, particularly through UNINFO;
- Assists in preparing the UN Sustainable Development Framework/One Programme III (2018-2022) Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework and assists in reporting results at country, regional and global levels.
- Contributes to independent evaluations of UN Sustainable Development Framework/One Programme III (2018-2022) as a key element of the UN Sustainable Development Framework/One Programme III (2018-2022) cycle, and other interagency work related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Serves as country focal point for country-level, regional and global M&E initiatives and networks.
Supports knowledge management and capacity development related to data and monitoring:
- Assists in the sharing of best practices within the UNCT and with UNCTs in the (sub)region and globally, based on a solid understanding of the incentives that people need to utilize knowledge.
- Participates in knowledge sharing and works closely with colleagues at the country and regional level to ensure usable knowledge is shared between and applied by UNCTs.
- Assists in the identification of good practices and lessons learned at the different levels of the UN System (national, regional and global) and share findings with HQ, Regional and country colleagues so that best practices benefit UN’s work.
- Contributes to the UNCT’s exchange of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned with external partners.
- Provides support for assigned thematic activities and knowledge-sharing forums and encourages others to participate.
- Contributes to knowledge sharing (including through training and facilitating peer exchange) amongst UN staff on issues related to UN strategic planning frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Draws upon other UN experiences, lessons learned and knowledge networking to drafts content for strategic planning processes.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to identify and develop sources for data collection. Ability to undertake research, analyze data, make recommendations and write draft reports on sustainable development issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience:
Experience: Relevant experience in providing strategic support to research and data analysis, knowledge management or project/programme management in the context of international development cooperation or related area is desirable.