Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Finance Officer provides technical support with the processing of financial transactions, and monitors compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules.
In operations that do not have a Project Control Officer at Country or Multi-Country level the Assistant Finance Officer must also perform oversight responsibilities with regard to the execution of projects.
The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure in the office.
- Analyze, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets.
- Review vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Propose monthly cash requirements for the office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds;
- Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
- Analyze and evaluate financial reports within the area of responsibility on a regular basis.
- Maintain relationships with local bank at the transactional level.
- Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Verify that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Prepare office-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the Regional Bureau or Headquarters.
- Approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P1/NOA - 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree