Assistant Resident Representative (Programme)
United Nations Development Programme(UNDP), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Responsibilities
As a member of the CO management team and under overall supervision and guidance of the RC/RR, the ARR (Programme) ensures the strategic direction of UNDP programme activities from programme design through implementation and monitoring and evaluation. The ARR (Programme) leads the UNDP programme with the following expected results:
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CPD, CPAP and other documents;
- Promotes thematic and sectoral synergies and coordination of programme activities and execution;
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation;
- Leads the programme team in programme formulation and networking to ensure a programme which is relevant and responsive to changes in the country context;
- Operationalization of CPD/ CPAP in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies;
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO;
- CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
- Advises the RC/RR on country programme development and delivery, identifies approaches and modalities to achieve development targets;
- Support the full operationalization of joint UNCT work programme based on UNDP’s mandates and CPAP focus areas and identify possibilities for joint programming.
Ensures effective management and supervision of the overall programme team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation and monitoring and evaluation achieving the following results:
- Oversight and management of fully functional programme management workflows, systems and approaches to create best possible enabling environment for high level performance of programme teams and project Teams;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations and via the effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and regular monitoring achievement of results;
- Approves development projects transactions approval on the UNDP Financial System (ATLAS) and ensures integrity of financial systems, review of budget requirements and the consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations;
- In consultation with the RC/RR and Operations Manager, the ARR (Programme) is responsible for recruitment, performance and career management and supervision of UNDP programme and project staff to motivate and promote organizational excellence;
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme. Ensuring that results and lessons learned feed into the analytical and project work (i.e. results used to make decisions);
- Organizing regular work planning and project development progress reviews with all relevant implementing partners, funders and partners;
- Design and formulation of programme interventions, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions.
- Coordination of programme implementation with the implementing partners;
- Oversight and management leadership on audit recommendations related to the programme cluster. Overall responsibility to ensure timely submission of nationally implemented projects’ audit plan and implementation of recommendations.
Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Develop and guide the full implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes outlined in the CPAP and CO programme sustainability;
- Dialogue with the government on national cost-sharing components with the effort to enhance their continued and strengthened contribution to the program;
- Create, coordinate and strengthen partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities;
- Analyze and research information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Advocate for UNDP with government counterparts, donor community, international financial institutions and the UN.
Ensures provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Advocates for UNDP’s technical advisory policy support with Government counterparts and ensures access and provision of best available technical expertise;
- Supports development of national policies and institutional capacity building to address the country development priorities in collaboration with the Government and relevant strategic partners;
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked from UNDP programme country and advocate through high-level policy and decision making platforms;
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the country programme for organizational sharing and learning culture in the CO.
- Master’s Degree in international development, public administration, business administration, public policy, economics or other relevant social sciences.
- At least 7 years of relevant development experience at the national or international level in conducting policy dialogue and extending policy advisory services; hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects; forging partnerships with national and international organizations for program implementation and resource mobilization; as well as establish inter-relationships among international organizations and national governments.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Strong written and spoken skill of the UN and national language of the duty station.