The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Rice Breeding Platform will deliver on key priorities of the Strategic Plan in the areas of breeding for favorable environments, breeding for unfavorable environments, host plant resistance, quantitative genetics, seed and delivery systems, and germplasm evaluation.
In close consultation with the team, the Assistant Scientist will plan, design, and implement hybrid rice seed production activities with time-bound support. Consistently communicate with internal and external project partners and collaborators to exchange conceptual ideas and to effectively gather feedback and research-related requirements for the advancement of the project. Manage the implementation of defined research activities. Evaluate and validate experimental data and contribute to the manuscript for reports/publications as well as presentations/posters for national and international conferences. Supervise, train and guide scholars, OJTs, researchers, collaborators, and research technicians.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan, design and implement hybrid rice seed production activities and trials, (both for three and two-line systems) of released and pipeline hybrids, including the seed production of the parentals (CMS, S Lines, B, R and pollen parents), with the highest degree of genetic and physical purity and high seed yield.
- Utilize the market preferred parental lines to produce small quantities of hybrid rice seeds every season for the thousand F1 multi-environment yield trial.
- Prepare materials and equipment needed in hybrid rice seed production activities and contribute to the verification and application of techniques that would aid in the successful execution of hybrid rice seed production and parental seed production.
- Process and coordinate with the Seed Health Unit (SHU) for the timely shipment of seeds to HRDC members, NARES, and other stakeholders.
- Oversee field and operations, work areas and head houses, ensuring adherence to research outline, protocols, guidelines, and safety, in a time-bound manner.
- Serve as the point of contact for scholars, interns, local and international collaborators who conduct experiments in IRRI, ensuring that they are provided with a comprehensive training experience on hybrid rice seed production.
- Coordinate with different IRRI service units (GSL, GTL, ZES) to ensure ample and timely supply of services and materials and the proper handling and maintenance of relevant research areas and technical equipment
- Supervise, coordinate and provide feedback to the work of research technicians to ensure that research activities are implemented according to plan and standards
- Consolidate, evaluate, and analyze research data related to hybrid rice seed production; summarize and validate using appropriate statistical tools, and assist in the interpretation of results about seed production trials with timely reporting/presentation.
- Create, upload, maintain and update B4R studies and databases for efficient storage and retrieval of data and information;
- Assist in the development of annual reports and publications in refereed journals as well as presentations and posters to be used in national and international conferences.
- Prepare materials and equipment needed in the experiments and contribute to the verification and application of methods/techniques that would aid in the successful execution of the experiment/activity
Qualifications: Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture or equivalent and 5 years of relevant work experience in relevant rice research
- Hands-on experience in rice seed production and conduct of research trials
- Basic knowledge of the hybrid rice breeding and associated stresses
Preferred: Hybrid rice seed production with strong field management