The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
Under the minimal supervision of the Senior Scientist I -Water Management, this position will provide scientific leadership and management on research on digital tools for efficient water management. This includes development of wireless sensor to monitor water depth in paddy field, improvement of transmission of sensors using SubGz bandwidth and contribute to the development of user interface of irrigation advisory service.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan, design and implement experiments and other research activities related to digital tools for efficient water management
- IoT-based hardware design sprint for water sensors
- Hardware and web programming for data transmission and user interface
- Adopt a standard operating procedure for the development of digital tools
- Exchange conceptual ideas with collaborating partners (national/international) and seek feedback
- Provide technical backstopping to collaborators, stakeholders, scholars, considering the implementation of experiment(s) and instrumentation including the logistics
- Supervise partners in the development of digital tools
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOP)
- Evaluate and suggest to supervisor workable plans for the development of digital tools
- Consolidate, evaluate and analyze research data related to; summarize and validate using appropriate tools, and assist in the interpretation of results about the performance of digital tools with timely reporting/presentation
- Upload, maintain and update Github and other databases for efficient storage and retrieval of data and information
- Assist in the development of annual reports and publications in refereed journals as well as presentations and posters to be used in national and international conferences
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science/Electronic Engineering/Instrumentation Engineering/Applied Physics and 4 years relevant work experience
- Master of Science in Computer Science/Electronic Engineering/Instrumentation Engineering/Applied Physics and 2 year relevant work experience
- Mandatory: Experience on IoT-based hardware designing, software development/hardware programming, knowledge on PCB design software and C programming
- Preferred: Knowledge on the use of Upverter, Express PCB, or any PCB design software, experience using PCB printers and pick and place machines