Assistant Technical Officer
FHI 360, Nigeria
Closing Date for Applications:
The ATO Laboratory Services will be responsible for providing technical assistance and supporting laboratory services to project supported health facilities in Boki and Etung LGAs. S/he will be responsible for health diagnostic service delivery.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide high quality patient care.
- Process specimens, conduct testing and report test results with constant attention to detail and excellence in quality.
- Operates laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Keep organized records of specimens, tests, instrument logs, and technical analyses according to written instructions.
- Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and Ethics
- Conduct and document appropriate quality control and assurance procedures.
- Assist with quality assurance and performance improvement activities.
- Performs non-routine analysis when given direction.
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures and establishes adequate infection prevention and control standards are always maintained across all supported facilities.
- Build capacity of GoN at local government level for improved service delivery
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Knowledge of Laboratory Equipment and techniques for the following categories of assays
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues in the community.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and any of the local languages.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Knowledge of advanced laboratory procedures, diagnosis and management related to care and treatment.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
- Qualifications and Requirements:
- BSc in Laboratory sciences or related field with 1-3 years post national youth service experience in provision of laboratory support.
- Certification of license to practice as a medical laboratory scientist is required.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs highly desirable.
- Previous experience working in a humanitarian crisis is highly desirable.