Assistant Technical Officer
FHI 360, Dikwa, Nigeria
Closing Date for Applications:
The ATO - Pharmacy will prepare medications by reviewing and interpreting physician orders, and dispensing medications by compounding, packaging and labeling pharmaceuticals.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works as part of a multidisciplinary team of staff to provide high quality patient care to an extremely vulnerable population.
- Carrying out inspection duties as provided for under the Poisons and Pharmacist’s Act, the Dangerous Drug Act and the Food and Drug Decree and other operational legislations
- Dispensing prescribed medications to in-and-outpatients whilst providing accurate medication advice.
- Maintaining stores and keeping relevant store records.
- Preparing extemporaneous medicaments such as mixtures, lotions, ointments, syrups, etc.
- Provides technical information and advice to other health professionals.
- Ensuring proper storage and issuance of all drugs over the duration of the project.
- Participating in routine quality control audits of all drugs in stock.
- Adheres to the relevant Code of conduct and ethics
- Works with technical support and M&E teams to collect appropriate baseline data over the life of the project
- Compiles and submits periodic reports
- Ensures adequate infection prevention and control standards are maintained at all times.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Sound knowledge of inventory control systems.
- Experience must include managing health commodity logistics information systems, including forecasting/quantification of medical Commodities.
- Knowledge of the key principles and approaches to health systems strengthening.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding integrated health programs.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English and Hausa communications, including presentation and training skills. Understanding of Kanuri Language is an asset.
- Well-developed computer skills.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Pharmacy, Doctor of Pharmacy or its equivalent with 1- to 3 years post national youth service experience managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting /quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- Must have a practicing license
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health system and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.