Associate Budget and Finance officer
United Nations Office for Project Services , Nairobi, Kenya
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
The position is located at the Ecosystem Services Economics Unit in the Ecosystems Division. The Ecosystem Services Economics Unit has received funding from the European Union to implement the Action on Promoting biodiversity and sustainability in the agriculture and food sector through economic valuation and the funding from the German International Climate Initiative to implement the project: Supporting Biodiversity and Climate friendly Land Management in Agricultural Landscapes. Under the overall supervision of the head of Ecosystem Services Economics Unit (ESE), the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
The post holder will have a coordinating role in the administrative and programme support items across the portfolio, specifically:
- Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of office resource requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; reviews, analyses and revises data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals.
- Provide support to programme officers with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Administer the allotments in accordance with the established procedures including redeployment/reallocation of funds.
- Liaise with implementing partners and programme officers for the preparation of budgets and ensuring compliance with rules and regulations in drafting agreements
- Administer and monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Monitor budget implementation and determine/recommend reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized/approved levels.
- Review all requisitions generated by the Umoja system for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged and confirm availability of funds.
- Prepare relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions.
- Review and make appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Provide substantive support to intergovernmental and legislative bodies.
- Monitor the preparation of project documents and their subsequent revisions, liaising with relevant internal colleagues and teams in implementing partner organizations.
- Review draft letters of agreement and memorandums of understanding with supporting organizations before administration clearance.
- Monitor the liaisons with supporting organizations to assist programme officers.
- Assist in the coordination of project implementation of the Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity for Agriculture and Food (TEEBAgriFood):
- Act as focal point for all financial management related matters within the Compliance Assistance Programme in Ecosystem Services Economics Unit.
- Liaise with the programme officers, in preparing project documents, liaising with the Corporate Services Division (CSD), UNEP and Budget and Financial Management Service (BFMS), United Nations Office Nairobi (UNON) as necessary. Ensure that payments to the executing agencies are processed accurately and in a timely manner and coordinate with programme officers to monitor expenditures.
- Monitor expenditures on a timely basis, ensuring that they are within the approved budget:
- Liaise with UNON regarding the financial database of Umoja approvals, providing reports as requested.
- Revise and analyse interim and final expenditure reports submitted by the executing agencies and ensure the expenditures are in line with the original budget
- Coordinate the submission of Approval Sheets and follow up each approval.
- Inform the Head of Ecosystem Services Economics Unit, on the status of funds available.
- Check UNON project accounts to ensure that expenditures are correctly reflected.
- Assist in the timely preparation of interim and final financial reports to be submitted to the donors.
- Monitoring and Progress Controls
Ultimate result of services:
- Uses business intelligence for reporting and monitoring donor and project portfolios
- Keep up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Provide data for the preparation of bids, purchase orders, consultant contracts and commercial contracts, as relevant.
- Provide support to the program officers in planning for the TEEBAgriFood regional symposiums and other workshops.
- Grants execution through the Implementing partners portal- Umoja
- Provides advice and guidance, including training to staff on budget and financial policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or related field is required.
- A first level university degree combined with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (2) years progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- Experience in preparing financial reports is required
- Experience with Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.