Associate Director for Advocacy and Communications
World Vision, Kinshasa, Congo
Closing Date for Applications:
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Associate Director for Advocacy and Communications is a senior leader within World Vision Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and is responsible for leading and coordinating advocacy and communications. The A&C Director will lead the development and implementation of the ‘It Takes a World to End Violence Against Children Campaign’. The A&C Director will position, build the profile and manage the reputation of the DRC National Office via government, UN, peer agency engagement and media. The A&C Director will manage the Advocacy Manager and the Communications Manager and provide dotted line technical management to Zonal Advocacy staff.
Leadership and Strategic Management:
- Lead and manage the WV DRC Advocacy and Communications Unit, including Advocacy Manager and Communications Manager and provide dotted line technical leadership to Zonal Advocacy Managers and focal points.
- Lead Advocacy Campaigns on behalf of World Vision, with particular focus on “It Takes a World to End Violence Against Children” including development of WVDRC Campaign Theme in alignment with Global Campaign, Zonal themes, official launch, and integration with other sector/programme activities.
- Develop and implement WVDRC’s national advocacy and communication strategy.
- Lead internal WV partnership advocacy engagement on behalf of WVDRC.
Liaison and External Stakeholder Engagement:
- Lead WV DRC National government and partner engagement, representing WV DRC in key internal and external forums, with particular focus on Ministry of Gender, Women and Children, Ministry of Education and key UN agencies.
- Provide strategic oversight and support to development and implementation of external engagement plans at zonal levels to ensure consistency and coordination.
- Provide strategic direction for business development to pursue advocacy funding, through support in the development and implementation of the external engagement plan as well as via identification of resources, key stakeholders and relationship building and management.
- Work with Business Development Unit to develop advocacy related capacity statements, funding proposals, with particular focus on Extractives, Peace-Building.
- Manage the production and provision of high quality information resources and materials for donor and public engagement.
- In conjunction with East Zone and Kasai Response, ensure implementation of ‘Child Protection and Advocacy in Fragile Contexts’ approach pilot.
- Ensure successful implementation of Social Accountability programming, using World Vision Citizen Voice and Action methodology.
- Ensure Humanitarian advocacy is supported, activity is integrated at all levels, and includes appropriate focus on child protection, protection of civilians, and maintenance of IHL.
- Promote continuous learning, innovations and best practices internally, within WV Regionally and in the DRC Advocacy and Communications community.
- Engage local and international media around It Takes a World Campaign, advocacy issues and child well-being in DRC.
- Develop advocacy communications resources to strengthen child focused and issue-based advocacy aligned with identified priorities and public messaging.
- Coordinate, monitor and manage reputational risk narrative and brand issues associated with the organization.
- Supervise and support communications manager to produce internal and external communications materials in alignment with identified priority, including the Business Development Unit priorities.
- Facilitate a process of continuous learning on appropriate communication systems, processes and tools as appropriate for WVDRC.
- Support the National Director to serve as a key spokesperson to externally promote justice for children on WV’s key priority issues.
- Manage the dissemination of internal communications within NO and the WV Partnership (intranet, WVCentral, ContentFlow, etc.).
Mentoring and Coaching:
- Lead, manage and provide capacity building support to employees in the A&C Unit (Advocacy Manager and Communications Manager) by ensuring clear goals and accountabilities are established and achieved.
- Ensure individuals’ performance and development needs are met, and employees are high performing and engaged.
- Identify capacity gaps in NO in advocacy and communications work with SLT and Region to address them.
- Champion/Facilitate advocacy training within National and Zonal offices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, development studies, International Relations, Communications or its equivalent.
- 5 years of senior leadership experience in advocacy, campaigns, communications and government and stakeholder engagement in a fragile context.
- Advanced understanding of social accountability methodologies.
- Understanding of humanitarian and peacekeeping architecture, international humanitarian law.
- Demonstrated team management experience that includes coaching staff to high levels of performance.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with diverse teams (cross cultural & cross functional) to achieve shared goals.
- Ability to engage at a strategic level and build collaborative relationships with government, donors, media and peer agencies.
- Experience in developing a wide array of communication materials such as publications, video segments, web and other modern media.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in French and English.
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Development, Social Science, Management or other field applicable to fragile country context preferred.
- Understanding and experience in Grant Acquisition and Management, especially in terms of the grant cycle, humanitarian and development donors, and proposal development.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and leading advocacy and communications strategies within the humanitarian and development sector.
- Advanced understanding of policy analysis and engagement processes.