Associate Director, Financial Planning and Performance
FHI 360, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
Provides strategic leadership and support to budget planning, financial performance, and selected compliance functions of the Operations Area and Operations Management. Develops budget analyses and financial analytics for the COO for decision-making. Works with the COO to develop, address and monitor strategic and long-term financial goals of the business, including revenue growth initiatives. Leads annual planning and budget process on behalf of the Operations Area. Provides leadership and technical guidance in financial risk management and control strategies. Responsible for monitoring the overall financial performance of the Operations Area and Operations Management. Develops and implements effective and efficient business processes and procedures as needed. Develops communications to the Operations Area on financial planning and performance. Supervises staff and serves as a member of the home unit’s leadership team.
- Leads budget planning, analysis, and high-level tracking for COO for Operations budgets (direct, indirect, development accounts, etc.).
- Translates organizational goals into financial and budget plans and engages in the more critical and confidential aspects of financial analysis on behalf of the COO.
- Provides strategic inputs to organizational Annual Planning and Budgeting (APB) exercise and plans and manages the APB process on behalf of the COO and Operations Area.
- Oversees development of the Office of the COO departmental budget.
- Tracks Operations Area and Office of the COO financial performance and consults with executive staff on enterprise risk management.
- Develops and/or promotes tools, guidance and performance dashboards that encourage monitoring and achievement of Operations Area financial objectives
- Serves as team and Operations Area liaison to Corporate Finance and enterprise financial process automation efforts.
- Oversees financial and procurement support for special operating units and business development teams.
- Prepares guidance for the Operations Area on financial policy and procedural updates and process improvements.
- Analyzes trends in project/country financial audit findings and recommends improvement measures.
- Leads special projects of varying scope as assigned.
- Supervises and oversees the professional development of financial analyst and any other staff.
- Duties require broad conceptual judgment, initiative, and ability to deal with a wide range of finance issues.
- Works with confidential data, which if disclosed, might have significant internal and / or external effect.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with accounting, financial controls and financial information systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated organizational and presentation skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project management skills.
- Must have excellent organizational, supervisory, leadership and managerial skills.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership and advice to team, exchange information and
- collaborate with colleagues and peers within and outside the organization.
- Possesses a full understanding of the organizational structure, policies and practices, and the impact on own area and the entire organization.
- Ability to influence, motivate, negotiate, and work will with others.
- Is well-versed in typical donor regulations that have impact on financial
- analysis and management controls.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems of highly complex scope that require in depth evaluation of data and various factors.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, for obtaining results.
- Decisions and actions could have a severe impact on the outcomes of the business,
- research, and/or programmatic operations of major segments of the organization.
- Failure to provide timely financial reports and accurate advice could negatively impact cross-functional business segments.
- Manages staff holding jobs in the same or similar job families or functions.
- Manages and develop staff to meet departmental and organizational strategic goals.
- Accounts for the budget, procedures, and training of staff to achieve results.
- Develops and recommends solutions to management meet internal and external needs of the company.
- Reports administratively to Director, Project Management Quality and Support, with technical supervision and other job guidance provided by the Chief Operations Officer.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent.
- Minimum of 8+ years of financial management experience.
- Past experiences managing and leading a finance department is required.
- Articulate, professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language as appropriate.
- Prior work in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Experience working with an international organization.