Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Associate Director, Human Resources serves as an active member of the senior management team advising on the development and implementation of effective HR solutions in support of effective implementation.
The Associate Director provides support, recommendations and guidance for all HR areas to ensure the efficient operation of the functions.
Oversea and responsible for all projects in the country.
Ensure organizational compliance and consistency with HR policy and guidance across projects
- Provides support, recommendations and guidance for all HR areas including recruitment, compensation, benefits, learning and development, Performance management, HRIS, Employee relations, to ensure the efficient operation of the functions
- Provides and supports organizational design, development and change management solutions and implementation.
- Provides guidance to management team on leadership and HR issues including application of HR policies and processes, restructuring, training, people management, career development and handling complex employee issues.
- Develops critical role succession plans, leadership development, workforce planning, and organizational capability building to attract, retain, develop, and engage talent in critical roles.
- Collaborates with the HR Partner at regional office.
- Provides tools, advice, and information to support effective delivery of HR services and processes.
- Ensures organizational compliance and consistency with HR manuals and the NTA regulation.
- Counsel and advice to staff on personal and work-related issues, including providing guidance and direction to the management team and employees on human resource related topics.
- Inform management of any changes in the Afghan government laws that effect personnel, compensation and working condition.
- Work with staff and management to facilitate staff development and training opportunities
- Communicate and ensure compliance and consistency with office practices and policies and compliance with all employment related laws
- Oversee and ensure that expatriate’s services i.e. work permit application and renewal, visa application and extension are proceeded before expiry date.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Broad knowledge and experience with the Afghan Labor Law, compensation and benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to motivate, negotiate, influence and collaborate with functional managers and senior management team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Superior interpersonal and coaching skills including patience and ability to work well with staff at all levels.
- Ensure compliance with applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Independently coordinates and advises on HR issues.
- Recommends and develops solutions to HR-related issues.
- Recommends and/or takes corrective action when necessary based on acquired knowledge and observation of best practices.
- Provides strategic human resources support through the planning and execution of HR practices and programs.
- Establishes partnerships to deliver value added service to management and employees.
- Performs work with minimal direction.
- Participates in determining objectives of assignments.
- Plans schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives.
- Makes recommendations and offers ideas to improve efficiency, but does not change procedures without supervisor’s review and approval
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource or related fields (e.g. Human resource /Organizational Development or Business Administration).
- 5-8 years of experience providing full range of HR generalist support in a medium to large organization.
- Must have working knowledge and be current with all relevant employment related laws;
- Advanced skills in MS Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) and HRIS /Payroll systems.
- A willingness to increase knowledge and update skills as required.
- Ability to handle oral and written communications independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of staff, individuals from diverse cultures, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully participate on senior management teams that provide leadership and strategic direction.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities for self and manage time to achieve goals / complete projects on or ahead of due date.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO) preferred.