About the Organization:
Centre for Civil Society advances social change through public policy. Their work in education, livelihood, and policy training promotes choice and accountability across private and public sectors. To translate policy into practice, they engage with policy and opinion leaders through research, pilot projects and advocacy.
Position: Associate Director – Research
The Associate Director (Research) will lead data-driven research initiatives and deliver different types of research output. She will lead and manage high-quality teams oriented towards delivery and impact. She will partner with our advocacy team to effectively disseminate outputs from our research to elected representatives, policymakers, media and other important stakeholders. She will also write funding proposals and manage commitments to donors.
Researchers at CCS have sharp analytical and critical thinking abilities, and curiosity about the interplay between government, citizens, markets and civil society. An ideal team member is energetic, proactive, able to work independently and collaboratively as needed, and possesses both integrity and the humility to seek advice when needed.
Execute research agenda on education reforms and regulatory barriers to entrepreneurship:
- Identify knowledge gaps and develop research questions/projects
- Ensure research is carried out within defined timelines across multiple projects
- Build a journal publication pipeline and ensure research output meets the rigour and relevance for publication in leading journals
- Write opinion pieces and commentaries on research undertaken and contemporary issues for newspapers, journals and other relevant publications
- Supervise managers/senior managers and associates on particular initiatives
Represent CCS in external forums and present research outputs:
- Build and maintain relationships with donors that fund research in ease of doing business and education reforms in India
- Partner with research and policy organizations working on ease of doing business and education reforms
- Engage with government agencies on reform opportunities and research needs
Work with the communication and advocacy team to:
- disseminate research findings to stakeholders in the policymaking ecosystem, including the media, using visual communication tools
- speak and present at dialogues, workshops, and conferences on the research outputs
- build internal capabilities of team members by coaching, sharing learnings, providing feedback, and ensuring their training and development
Experience and education
- At least an MA/MSc in Economics/Statistics/Political Science/Political Economy/Public Policy (PhD is a bonus)
- At least 5 years in a research role with a think tank or research institution
- At least 5 years of experience managing teams and leading projects
- Ability to develop and oversee project budgets, set priorities, plan timelines and meet deadlines, and hire and manage teams
- Proficiency in using R and LaTex (Python programming skills are a bonus)
- Should have published reports, and op-eds and in recognised journal(s) on issues relating to structural reforms, governance, education, and/or doing business in India.