Room to Read, Badulla, Sri Lanka
Closing Date for Applications:
The Girls’ Education (GE) Program Associate spends the majority of her time providing direct support to the Social Mobilizers (SMs). This includes supporting and sometimes facilitating SM trainings, working 1:1 and in groups with SMs to ensure they are effective in their roles working with girls, and when needed, modeling effective workshops or mentoring sessions with girls. The Program Associate is also responsible for aspects of program administration as determined by the Program Officer and/or Program Manager. This may include collecting program data and entering it into the Room to Read database, managing program expenses at the school level, and determining and delivering material support for girls participating in the program. The Program Associate reports to the Program Officer and manages a set of SMs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Manage Social Mobilizers
- Support SMs in planning and facilitating Room to Read’s life skills activities (sessions and clubs) for girls and parent workshop sessions for the girls’ parents. Support may include helping an SM set her schedule of workshops, observing a session and providing feedback to the SM, or other activities needed to help SMs succeed in their core responsibilities.
- Support SMs in the planning of parents’ meetings.
- Support SMs to mentor girls. This may include providing ideas for group discussion topics and coaching the SMs on how to handle difficult topics.
- Support the SM in identifying and supporting girls at risk of dropping or failing out of school using Room to Read’s risk and response protocol.
- Conduct annual performance reviews of SMs.
- Facilitate SM review meetings to discuss and identify solutions to challenges SMs are facing in program implementation and in working with the girls and communities.
- Support the PO/PM in conducting the Social Mobilizers’ trainings. This may include co-facilitating training sessions.
- Ensure school authorities and communities are supportive of the program and following agreements.
- Participate in regular trainings and meetings with Room to Read staff.
- Participate in regular review meetings and any other activities that may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
- Coordinate with other PAs/POs/PM to implement GEP activities.
- Participate in donor site visits and provide information to donors about Room to Read’s Girls’ Education Program as needed.
- Ensure the SM is monitoring and keeping records of girls including attendance, academic performance, and other program activities as required per the program design. Collect this data and provide it to PO/PM as needed.
- Ensure the SM is planning, documenting, and reporting on school and home visits and parent meetings and workshops. Collect this data, provide it to the PO/PM, and enter it into Room to Read’s database as needed.
- Manage program expenses and complete financial reporting.
- Document best practices, case studies, photos, and lessons learned and share with the GEP Team.
- University degree or equivalent in a related field
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a relevant field.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in local languages.
- Ability to travel frequently and spend up to several weeks at a time in rural areas.
- Demonstrated commitment to social change.
- Experience working with youth or children in a formal or non-formal educational setting.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high-quality work and low overhead
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative