Associate Human Resources Officer
United Nations Secretariat, New York, United States
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of Assistant Secretary-General in the Office of Human Resources Management.
The Office of Human Resources (OHR) fosters a dynamic, adaptable, mobile and engaged workforce demonstrating the values of the Organization and with the highest level of competence and integrity to effectively and efficiently serve the mandates of the Organization. OHR is committed to infusing the values of diversity into our work and workplace.
The incumbent reports to the Special Assistant for the Assistant Secretary-General for Human Resources.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Human Resources Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
- Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
- Assists with placement of downsized staff members.
- Drafts and compiles communication products for target audiences, including press releases, media packets and reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, websites, emails etc.
- Organizes the clearance, production and distribution of information material.
- Assists in the preparation of talking points, briefing notes and background papers.
- Identifies key contacts/constituencies and opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts and maintains working relationships with the same.
- Organizes conferences, seminars, briefings, interviews and meetings etc. and supports the Office in preparing for such events and keeping up-to-date with progress and actions.
- Tracks decisions and recommendations of executive, audit and other bodies, follow up with responsible OHR components and monitors and reports on progress.
- Updates website content in coordination with Office of the Under-Secretary-General (HR Portal, iSeek, Careers Portal); and coordinates posting of events and announcements on iSeek.
- Preparers and coordinates emergency and crisis management related communications; and acts as the alternate OHR focal point in the Crisis Operations Group Working Group on Communications.
- Coordinates agenda and minutes for the Directors meeting; and updates and maintains the action plans for the Management Committee.
- Coordinates matters relating to the long service awards and staff recognition ceremony.
- Attends the meetings of the staff-management committees, providing coordination and taking actions on the management side.
- Manages the internship programme in the Office of Assistant Secretary-General; conducts photo and graphic research; and produces graphic material for the Office.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in human resources management, business or public administration, communication or journalism, social sciences, education or related fields is required.
- A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration, communication or related area is required. No experience is required for candidates who have passed the United Nations Young Professionals Programme Examination (YPP), the United Nations Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the G to P Examination (G to P).
- Experience with UN communications related issues is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.