Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
• The IFC Emerging Asia Growth Fund invests, alongside IFC, across all sectors in Asia including financial institutions, infrastructure, telecoms, natural resources, manufacturing and agribusiness.
• AMC is looking to hire two Associates for the IFC Emerging Asia Growth Fund based in Singapore.
• The Associates will report to the Fund Heads and will be responsible for; (i) working on AMC/IFC investment teams; (ii) working with the Fund Heads and other AMC team members to structure and negotiate investments and develop a solid and well balanced investment portfolio; (iii) assisting the team in supervising the ongoing performance of the fund’s portfolio companies and structuring and executing divestitures; (iv) maintaining a good relationship with the fund’s investors and with IFC investment teams and assist in providing timely delivery of information; (v) assisting with the fund-raising process and establishment of this fund.
In particular, the Associates will:
• Develop a strong understanding of the economic and political situation in each target country and prepare regular updates in each key market;
• Develop and track a pipeline of potential fund investments in coordination with IFC’s business development teams and regional offices;
• Support and provide input for deal execution, including financial modelling, structuring, valuation, and negotiation to AMC and IFC investment teams;
• Assist in presentation of investment proposals to the fund’s Investment Committee, articulating the detailed investment rationale and making concrete recommendations regarding proposed investments;
• Monitor portfolio companies and develop recommendations regarding portfolio actions including operational value creations, and divestitures;
• Participate in fund raising activities; and,
• Work closely with the Fund Heads and AMC’s Chief Operating Officer in implementing effective fund administration, including investor liaison and reporting.
Selection Criteria & Competencies :
• The successful candidates are likely to have worked for a private equity firm, consulting firm, and/or international financial institution with emerging markets presence.
• They will have a good understanding of and practical experience in valuation, structuring, portfolio management and business strategy.
• Experience working on investments in and/or financial advisory in Asia is preferred.
• They will possess: familiarity with international best market practices and global trends in emerging markets; strong analytical skills, with experience in financial modeling; experience in structuring private equity deals, including an ability to mitigate risks and enhance returns; and expertise in negotiating complex deals.
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
• Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas
• M.B.A or equivalent degree;
• 4+ years relevant experience in a financial institution or private equity firm, focusing on principal investments and/or emerging markets;
• Regional experience in Asia preferred;
• Strong analytical and investment assessment skills, and sound knowledge of equity investment documentation, accounting, financial statement analysis and financial modeling (building projections, running valuation and scenario/return analysis);
• Sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills;
• Ability to work effectively under pressure in a diverse, team-oriented environment, and across multiple time zones;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences; fluency in Asian languages such as Mandarin Chinese would be a plus; and
• A willingness to travel frequently is required.