Thinking of a Career in Emergency Management?
- BY Nicole Pelette
Duties and Accountabilities:
• The IFC Financial Institutions Funds make growth equity investments in financial institutions (banks, insurance companies, and non-banks) operating in emerging markets globally. AMC manages two global and two regional funds under this mandate.
• AMC is looking to hire an Associate for the IFC Financial Institutions Funds (FIG Funds) based in Singapore.
• The Associate will report to the Fund Heads and will be responsible for; (i) working on AMC/IFC investment teams; (ii) working with the Fund Heads and other AMC team members to structure and negotiate investments and develop a solid and well balanced investment portfolio; (iii) assisting the team in supervising the ongoing performance of the fund’s portfolio companies including the existing Capitalization Fund portfolio companies and structuring and executing divestitures; (iv) maintaining a good relationship with the fund’s investors and with IFC investment teams and assist in providing timely delivery of information; (v) assisting the fund-raising process and establishment of the FIG Fund.
In particular, the Associate will:
• Establish strong credibility with investee companies, IFC staff and the fund’s investors;
• Develop and track a pipeline of potential fund investments in coordination with IFC’s business development teams and regional offices;
• Support and provide input for deal execution, including structuring, valuation, and negotiation to AMC and IFC investment teams;
• Assist in presentation of investment proposals to the fund’s Investment Committee, articulating the detailed investment rationale and making concrete recommendations regarding proposed investments;
• Monitor portfolio companies and develop recommendations regarding portfolio actions including operational value creations, and divestitures;
• Participate in fund raising activities both for FIG Fund and for other AMC managed funds; and,
• Work closely with the Fund Head and AMC’s Chief Operating Officer in implementing effective fund administration, including investor liaison and reporting.
• The successful candidate is likely to have worked for a private equity firm, consulting firm, and/or international financial institution with emerging markets presence.
• He/she will have a good understanding of and practical experience in valuation, structuring, portfolio management and business strategy.
• Experience working on investments in and/or financial advisory to the financial services industry is preferred.
• He/she will possess: familiarity with international best market practices and global trends in emerging markets; strong analytical skills, with experience in financial modeling; experience in structuring private equity deals, including an ability to mitigate risks and enhance returns; and expertise in negotiating complex deals.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas
• M.B.A or equivalent degree;
• 4+ years relevant experience in a financial institution or private equity firm, focusing on principal investments (preferably in financial services sectors) and/or emerging markets;
• Regional experience in Asia, MENA, and/or Africa preferred;
• Strong analytical and investment assessment skills, and sound knowledge of equity investment documentation, accounting, financial statement analysis and financial modeling (building projections, running valuation and scenario/return analysis);
• Sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills;
• Ability to work effectively under pressure in a diverse, team-oriented environment;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences; fluency in other languages (e.g. French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese) would be a plus; and
• A willingness to travel frequently is required.
• NOTE: The selected candidate will be employed directly by AMC, a Delaware corporation, which is a separate legal entity distinct from IFC.
• AMC is subject to US visa and work authorization requirements. If a selected candidate is a World Bank Group (WBG) staff member, he /she would be able to be seconded to AMC under the WBG External Service Program.
• IFC Asset Management Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
• To apply for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to AMCRecruit@ifc.org.