Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
The IFC’s South Asia Department is looking to recruit an Associate Operations Officer for its Sri Lanka and Maldives Office. The Associate Operations Officer will be responsible for assisting with business development, relationship management, coordinating missions, research, analytics, operational work and resource support for Country Office(Sri Lanka and Maldives) and industry teams.
Role & Responsibilities:
The Associate Operations Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Assist in business development activities and support pipeline development across all industry groups by providing industry contextual data, company analysis, comparator analysis, industry research etc.
- Maintain relationships with clients and other stakeholders (government, development partners, WBG) who are at a level where they can influentially participate in developing immediate and future business opportunities;
- Assist IFC Investment and Advisory teams to put together industry interventions and client engagement plans.
- Assist to assess and articulate the development impact and IFC additionality of moderately complex transactions.
- Gather market intelligence to stay informed of emerging trends in industry and country that could have broad impact on a country or portfolio;
- Develop long-term relationships and engagement plans with key local clients to identify and act on opportunities for repeat business;
- Contribute to drafting strategies for countries for business development; and develop and execute strategies for more complex client engagements with the objective of building a robust IFC program.
- Participate in the design of approaches and interventions to create upstream markets and provide substantive input to key components of Country Private Sector Diagnostics.
- Preparing progress reports and any other documentation or materials required.
- Preparation of sections of CPF documents and country strategy submissions as inputs into business plans, work program agreements, mid-year and retrospective.
- Review and screening of relevant documents/reports for consistency with country strategies.
- Liaise and interact effectively with an extensive network of contacts, at senior levels (both internal and external), and respond effectively to inquiries and to diverse situations that require tact and pragmatic problem-solving skills. Must have good network of contacts, both with government stakeholders and the business community at large.
- Under the guidance of Country Manager, advise project teams on the country context, IFC role, strategic fit, World Bank Group objectives, local markets, pipe-line and portfolio. Support project work as required.
- Assist the Country Manager with overall project management, planning and monitoring of deliverables to ensure timely and quality delivery of the work program.
- Portfolio monitoring and internal and external reporting. Provide any other assistance needed by the Country Manager for the day-to-day coordination of activities.
- Maintain a good working knowledge of current advisory and investment operations in Sri Lanka and The Maldives and support project and pipeline development.
- Construct and maintain reports to analyze and report on operational and development impact performance of Sri Lanka and Maldives.
- Prepare presentations and reports to present information and analysis to various audiences.
- Conduct research, analysis and compile information from HQ sources for the benefit of field-based management teams.
- Provide research and analytical support towards work products produced and on various assignments.
- Master’s degree in finance, economics or other related areas; accreditation as a CFA or CPA is considered a plus.
- At least 8-12 years’ experience with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments preferably both in equity and debt.
- Broad understanding of industry drivers, latest trends and changes, and standard market transaction arrangements;
- Sound understanding of political economy and solid relationship management experience
- Excellent teamwork skills, ability to take initiative and work across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, have a high level of discretion and professionalism.
- Familiarity with IFC databases (such as MIS, RMS, and other iDesk applications) would be an advantage.
- Experience of IFC strategy and budgeting processes would be an advantage.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines, while working on multiple projects.
- Advanced Excel, PowerPoint and database skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and quality of deliverable.
Short listed candidate may be required to undertake small written / analytical test for selection process.