This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to
budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any
travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to
apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated
in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with
the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in the Political Affairs and Mediation Group of the United Nations Assistance Mission
in Somalia, in Baidoa. The Associate Political Affairs Officer at this level reports to the Political Affairs Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Within delegated authority, the Associate Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Monitoring and following up proceedings and relevant developments in the South-West State (SWS)
- Assembly, including the election processes of State Assembly members, key legislation processes, the
- SWS constitutional process, as well as SWS Presidential elections;
- Drafting daily situation reports, notes to file, as well as analyses reports;
- Monitoring trends in relations between SWS and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS), including
- developments in FGS relations with other Federal Member States;
- Monitor and collect information relating to clan conflict and reconciliation efforts in SWS;
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of assignment and provides inputs on
- issues to senior officials and colleagues in the field mission;
- Prepares summaries of articles from a wide variety of sources and drafts a variety of correspondence,
- and sections of reports;
- Monitors political, socio-economic, and other politically relevant developments in an assigned area,
- Provides input into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programmes;
- Creates databases that track project progress and provides other information relevant to assigned
- Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and
- mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines
- and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence
- when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes
- responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and
- men in all areas of work.
Team Work: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by
- genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before
- personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions
- may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint
- responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies
- priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time
- and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors
- and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) degree in Political Science,
- International Relations, International Economics, Law, Public Administration, or related field. A
- first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience
- may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in political science,
- international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict
- resolution or related areas.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the
- position advertised, fluency in English and Somali (both oral and written) is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage. Proficiency in Somali Maay
- language desirable.