Associate Project Officer
UNESCO , Paris, France
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Culture, the general supervision of the Chief of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions Entity and the direct supervision of the Head of Programmes and Stakeholder Outreach Unit, the incumbent will contribute to the implementation of the project “UNESCO/EU Expert Facility on the Governance of Culture in Developing Countries: Creating a new regulatory environment for the cultural and creative industries and South-South cooperation” which is funded by the European Union (EU), as well as the implementation of other capacity-building activities of the Unit.
The EU-funded project aims to support developing countries to create new regulatory environments to strengthen the cultural and creative industries and promote South-South cooperation by implementing technical assistance missions by international experts, organizing training workshops and facilitating study tour/peer visit among the beneficiary countries of the EU-funded project.
Within this context, the incumbent will:
- Contribute to the organization of regular projects’ steering committee meetings involving representatives of the European Union and UNESCO.
- Support the effective project coordination by working closely with UNESCO Field Offices and national partners in view of elaborating and implementing a monitoring and evaluation (M&E) framework and workplans and managing the funds decentralization memos to concerned UNESCO Field Offices.
- In close cooperation with UNESCO Field Offices and national partners, establish contracts with members of the Expert Facility of the 2005 Convention and national experts and organize technical assistance missions to be undertaken by the experts in accordance with the UNESCO guidelines.
- Elaborate various working tools (e.g., country fact sheets of the project, PowerPoints, promotional materials, speeches) and make them available to project stakeholders.
- Collect data and information (including photos, audio-visual materials, testimonials) from the beneficiaries and preparing progress reports to the donor.
- Implement a visibility and communication plan, including the management of the web pages dedicated to the UNESCO/EU project (drafting web stories, etc.).
- Organize monitoring and communication meetings on the project in the margin of the statutory meetings of the Governing Bodies of the Convention or other international meetings on the Convention. Prepare or contribute to briefings, reports and presentations on the project.
- Contribute to implementing international cooperation and assistance of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions Entity by making synergies between the EU-funded activities and other activities of UNESCO, whenever possible and pertinent.
- COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in one of the areas covered by the 2005 Convention (cultural policies, cultural management, cultural and creative industries, etc.) and/or in the management of sustainable development projects.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in managing cultural cooperation development projects and/or monitoring cultural policies and/or capacity-building in the fields of culture and creativity.
- Knowledge of project management in the cultural sector, preferably at international level.
- Strong communication and analytical skills, including the preparation of documents and reports.
- Organizational and coordination skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, understand their needs and build trust in long-term working relationships.
- Strong confidentiality, discretion, tact and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- IT skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Intranet, Internet, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language.