Our client The Heinrich Böll Stiftung (hbs) is a German Political Foundation affiliated with the Green Party in the German Federal Parliament. The hbs Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa based in Nairobi acts as a people-centric green think-tank. We facilitate inclusive dialogues, offer expertise and, in partnership with like-minded people and organizations, develop innovative perspectives along the core themes: Gender Democracy, Sustainable Development and Regional Dialogue.
What are we looking for?
Heinrich Böll Stiftung is looking for a full-time Brand and Media Coordinator for the Human Right to Food Initiative (HRFI). The HFRI is a programme that implements an innovative communications and influencer-led approach to the problem of chronic food insecurity in Kenya.
In this context, the Brand and Media Coordinator would be responsible for developing and coordinating the HRFI brand, which includes activities directly linked to brand building, brand communications content and media engagement. The ideal individual will have communications and media experience. The successful candidate will be digitally savvy and creative, with a self-inspired energy to achieve social justice and democratic accountability in the country.
Position is open to Kenyans only. Salary bracket is KES 2.6 Million to KES 2.87 Million annual salary plus benefits
Key roles and responsibilities
- Contribute to the overall HRFI programming and strategy.
- Jointly develop branding and media approach with the HRFI team to ensure all components of the programme are integrated, aligned and complimentary.
- Custodian of the project website (maintaining the website front-end and processing public submissions from the website back-end)
- SEO and website analytics reporting
- Database management (members of the HRFI alliance & newsletter sign-ups)
- Develop and distribute quarterly newsletters
- Content planning and reporting
- Write and commission articles for the website blog
- Write and submit articles to other publishing platforms on behalf of the HRFI
- Develop social media content and manage ongoing engagement and monitoring on social media channels (in line with HRFI Social Media Guidelines)
- In collaboration with the HRFI media partner, develop and action the Quarterly Media Plan (which sets out different formats & associated targets for media engagement)
- Proactively identify and pitch proposals to mainstream and alternative media spaces.
- Write press op-eds (pre-planned and in reaction to topical issues) and have the ability to represent the HFRI in mainstream media.
- Establish and maintain relationships with journalists and bloggers.
- Host relevant and appropriate events / workshops, for example county media sensitisation, bloggers briefings etc.
Design (Canva) | newsletter distribution (Mailchimp) | creative writing | meticulous about punctuation | website management (Wordpress) | Google Analytics | Google Drive | Facebook, Twitter, Instagram use and analytics.
Education and professional experience:
- Masters Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Social Development, Psychology, Communications and Media, Development Studies, Economics (Cooperation and Human Development) or related fields.
- At least four years of relevant professional experience in the corporate sector or with an international organisation working in Kenya or the region, including public / media-facing exposure
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills (verbal and written)
- Solid project cycle management skills, including experience in M&E
- A history of advocating for social justice and democratic accountability
- Experience being part of a food rights movement, or being a key actor within the global food system, is desirable.
- Highly motivated, pro-active individual able to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritize and act on initiative
- Ability to work as part of a team within a diverse multi-cultural setting
How to apply:
Send your application including a cover letter and a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, contact details and professional referees by close of business Friday 27th April 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.