OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
To provide policy guidance and income/awards and budgetary management and support across the SEAR Region. Ensure effective financial controls exist and are properly managed. Ensure income is managed appropriately for all sources of funding and advise budget centres on all aspects of income and awards management. Monitor the general ledger and sub ledgers and take action where necessary to correct errors. Coordinate the monthly and annual financial closure processes at country and regional level.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under supervision, the incumbent performs a variety of specialized tasks to support Finance functions, more specifically related to Compliance and quality assurance, as well as supporting the Country Offices in the Region in finance matters, such as:
- Review and analyze expenditure data and encumbrances in SEAR workplans in GSM, including review of committal documents, for compliance with WHOs Financial Rules and Regulations and gather background information for reporting to Senior Management.
- Monitor DFC advances and ensure timely clearance of DFC Receipts received in GSM for BFU's clearance. Follow-up with WCOs to minimize the number of overdue DFCs.
- Periodic in-depth review of Imprest background documentation and related CO expenditure and preparation of reports to country offices and Senior Management.
- Prepare background information and carry out analysis of expenditure patterns for ad-hoc reports on specified areas of interest for compliance review to Management when requested.
- Review and monitor eImprest accounts for assigned countries and provide support and training related to eImprest management, as well as carry out ongoing review and analysis of the country payments to determine the replenishments and ceiling levels.
- Provide guidance and assistance on eImprest GL reconciliations (on line and off line), clear outstanding items and related financial transactions in the Imprest accounts and verify and monitor submissions of monthly Imprest returns.
- Review and clear generic/transitory GLs.
- Advise and train BFU and technical unit staff, draft comments/ correspondence related to the incumbent's area of work.
- Draft comments/ correspondence related to the incumbent's area of work.
- Replace other Budget & Finance Associates in BFU during their absence.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Essential: Secondary school education with specialization in budgeting and accounting.
- Desirable: Diploma/certificate of specialization in accounting and IT an advantage. Training in computer application including excel.
- Essential: At least 8 years' experience in the areas of budget or financial accounting.
- Desirable: Experience in WHO or in another UN/International organization would be an advantage.
Skills: A good understanding of WHO procedures and ability to interpret WHO Manual provisions related to Imprest, DFCs, standard operating procedures issued by ROs and HQ, etc.; Understanding of WHO ERP system (GSM) and accounting principles in general, an advantage; Skills to operate computer with ease; Excellent knowledge of MS Excel spreadsheets and its application for conversion of data into user friendly reports.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.