Assisting more than 91.4 million people in 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
As the international community has committed to end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition by 2030, one in nine people worldwide still do not have enough to eat. Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty.
In Lebanon, WFP works to support approximately 700,000 people with regular assistance using e-cards. WFP also supports Lebanese schools with school meals, and has engaged in more than 100 development activities to support rural infrastructure, education and training opportunities to vulnerable individuals and families. WFP also supports Lebanon’s National Poverty Targeting Programme.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT: The post is based in Beirut CO and the incumbent is to report to the Budget and Programming Officer.
To support the stewardship of WFP’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, reporting on key data and providing basic administrative and human resource functions that enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive):
Under the direct supervision of the Budget and Programming Officer, the Budget and Programming Assistant will perform the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the review of budget plans, monitoring and analysis of project financial performance and make recommendations in compliance with WFP financial policies and procedures and best practices to support financial analysis and optimization of resources.
- Provide basic analysis on fund and grant balances and refer to the supervisor discrepancies, to support maximum fund utilization and decision-making process.
- 3Contribute to pipeline management facilitating efficient monitoring to prevent and address pipeline breaks and maximize operational effectiveness.
- Compile data from the WFP database and systems in order to assist in generating and analyzing budget and pipeline reports on timely manner.
- Compile data and provide budget analysis, maintain accurate records and files and prepare periodic and ad hoc reports for further reviews, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain communication with a number of individuals regarding project funds management matters and related processes to clarify any discrepancies and optimize use of funds.
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor expenditure and budget forecasts, to ensure that relevant future funding requirements are met.
- Co-ordinate with other teams in order to ensure that all budget and programming services are being performed efficiently and in line with the needs of the wider team.
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other staff in budget planning, fund management and operational planning, to support continued development and consistency in services delivered.
- Remain on stand-by and follow standard emergency preparedness practices in order to meet immediate emergency requirements for further service on the job and in the field.
- Perform other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A University degree or post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is considered an asset.
- Experience: Four years of professional experience in Budget, Finance, Resource Management/Mobilization or relevant fields with independence, analyzing budget figures, coordination with other functional units and managing complex funding situation.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic and English. Knowledge of French language is added advantage.