The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a position of Arabic Language Assistant, G5 level based in the Document and Processing Unit (DPU) of the Translation and Documentation Branch (EBST) in the Executive Board Secretariat (EBS) at our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The position reports to the Chief of the Branch through the DPU Team Leader or his/her designate. Duties will include support to the Translation and Documentation Branch to produce high quality Governing Body documents and to service Executive Board meetings and consultations.
- Proofread texts translated in Arabic to ensure that the translation is complete and consistent with the original; and that all corrections by revisers are properly reflected;
- Review documents for accuracy, spelling, grammar and style-guide standards; verify references and official titles against WFP terminology databases and records;
- Format and finalize governing bodies documentation and other documents such as letters, reports, publications, etc.;
- Perform preliminary linguistic and terminological research and update terminology database;
- Prepare pre-translated documents and reference material, where applicable, to be used by translators and revisers;
- Design and update charts and tables utilizing graphic software;
- Prepare presentations for meetings/briefings and publications using publishing programmes;
- Customize software applications by creating new styles and templates; install and update programmes;
- Prepare meeting passes for participants to Executive Board meetings, welcome and register them, and respond to their enquiries;
- Input and update data in the documentation workflow system;
- Maintain unit’s files with background documentation of governing bodies and other documents in shared Teamwork spaces;
- Perform other related duties, as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: Completion of secondary school education.
Work Experience, Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- At least five years of progressively responsible work experience in conference and language services work, including at least one year as an assistant in the production of parliamentary documents
- Training and/or experience in advanced computer literacy and proofreading of parliamentary documentation in Arabic.
- Ability to write and spell in Arabic and English
- Courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people from different cultures and nationalities
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS: Fluency (Level C) in English and Arabic. Knowledge of a third language of the United Nations would be considered an asset.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Technical Skills: Knowledge of computer-assisted translation tools.