Business Development Associate
Innovations for Poverty Action, Malawi
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
We are seeking a highly capable and motivated Business Development Associate to serve as a key fundraiser for 2 country offices. You will be responsible for scoping and identifying, cultivating, and engaging a wide range of stakeholders and developing opportunities in Zambia and Malawi. This includes developing key partnerships, drafting research proposals (with senior level support) and coordinating the proposal writing process. The position will report to the Country Director and will also work closely with the country level policy team and the BD team at the HQ level.
- Create a database of potential donors and partners in the region and initiate relationships with potential funders. Help build a significant pipeline of well-aligned funders.
- Liaison directly with the Country Director- Malawi & Zambia, Country Representative Malawi and the IPA PD team on possible opportunities IPA Zambia and Malawi may pursue. Support the Country Director to develop and execute strategies to meet IPAZ and IPAM’s annual funding targets.
- Contact and maintain relationships with partners and researchers about new funding opportunities.
- Identify and develop potential proposals with meaningful research and policy implications, through connections with existing and new local partners and researchers.
- Develop proposal content that addresses/comply with the requirements outlined in possible solicitations. Guide project design and produce budgets during the proposal stage to ensure evaluations meet IPA standards. Coordinate between our finance, leadership, and research teams to create well-crafted, winning concept notes and proposals.
- Develop internal protocol documents on research-related topics including field team management plan, resource plan and methodology/work plan for research projects.
- Make sure institutional arrangements are taken care of in order to submit proposals applications – in
- line with the donor deadlines. Support grant reporting requirements when needed.
- Draft reports to donors and partners when needed and work closely with the finance, research and grants manager on narrative and financial reporting.
- Keep track of current funding opportunities and update records on the Salesforce Application.
- Propose costing structures and budgets for potential funding opportunities and proposals.
- A Master’s Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Development studies or related field
- 2-3 + years of experience in fundraising, business development and research.
- Exceptional research, writing and communication skills.
- Experience in developing outreach and relationship-building strategies and implementing plans to achieve them. Demonstrated ability to manage relationships with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience managing proposal processes and producing deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Experience with budgeting and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of data analysis software is a plus
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally.
- Excellent command of English, both spoken and written
- Experience living in a developing country is a strong plus.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent organizational skills, Excellent organizational skills, flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player