PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for providing management support and facilitation to programme design and resource acquisition for World Vision's humanitarian response, development, and resilience programming.
Leading a team of Programme Officers, the BDM will be responsible for ensuring designs of proposals and concept papers are needs-based, contextually-appropriate, compliant with donor and partner guidelines, and of high quality. The position will support the Programme Development Director in providing strategic guidance in the cultivation of new and existing relationships with various stakeholders (donor governments, partners, multilaterals, UN, WV partnership offices, etc.) to grow and diversify funding.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of WVSS’ 2021-2025 strategy, in line with the global partnership’s Our Promise strategy.
- Coordinate the development of the business development unit’s annual plan.
- Support the development of WVSS’ partnering approach for local, national, international actors and consortia development.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders in setting/supporting funding and communications priorities that align with WVSS’ strategy.
- Provide leadership to and support quality assurance for all project proposals.
- Provide oversight to the coordination of proposal development teams.
- Pre-position WVSS as a leader (in line with strategic priorities) among donors and partners (including working with NGOs in consortium).
- Assess level of risks associated with an opportunity and ensure sufficient alignment with all relevant WV strategies to defend go / no go decisions.
- Lead the acquisition, design and development process for assigned proposals.
- Lead / support design workshops, ensuring representation of various internal stakeholders and respective partners.
- Incorporate internal and international humanitarian standards into all project design in collaboration with technical sector specialists and programme quality department.
- Lead WVSS’ efforts in forming consortia, ensuring due diligence and partnering processes are followed.
- Provide strategic direction/oversight to identify, coordinate, cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with donor and partner representatives.
- Represent WVSS at national (Juba) level coordination meetings with donors, stakeholders, INGOs, local organizations, and government officials.
- Develop and maintain solid working relationships with major donors (government/ private/ multilateral, etc.).
Grant Start Up & Implementation:
- Lead handover of approved projects to respective operations team.
- Support grant start up and facilitate required training (eg. donor requirements) as necessary.
- Support Programme Officers coordinate and/or submit grant amendments and provide regular updates donors and Support Offices.
Team Leadership & People Management:
- Provide leadership and supervision to the business development unit, specifically a team of expatriate and national Programme Officers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in a development field.
- Master Degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- Leadership experience in program design and development, funding acquisition, program monitoring and evaluation, information management, capacity building, and compliance.
- At least 3 years field experience in a relief, humanitarian, or development environment.
- Previous experience with successful multi-million dollar donor proposal writing and budget preparation (USAID, ECHO, BPRM, UN agencies).
- Must have a clear understanding of the working of major donors and partners (UNICEF, WFP, USAID, EU, GAC, DFID etc), including their requirements and standards.
- Must be able to represent WV to these major program partners in a highly professional manner.
- Capacity building experience in project design, implementation, reporting, and evaluation.
- Computer knowledge including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Lotus Notes.
- Native fluency in written and spoken English.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Project planning and proposal writing certification, or comparable professional experience with proven results.
- Non-profit fundraising management certification, or comparable professional experience with proven results.
- Technical experience or demonstrated interest in a related humanitarian sector (for example, FSL, Health, WASH, Protection, Education, Peacebuilding, etc.), monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning, considered an asset.
- Team management, capacity building, and mentorship.