The constitution RDTL provides a provision of special status to Oe-Cusse, stating that it shall be ‘governed by a special administrative policy and economic regime’ (Article 71, Clause 2) and a law on Oe-Cusse has recently been passed by the National Parliament.
UNDP has been providing Policy advice to the Special Economic Zone for Social Market Economy (ZEESM) Office since its establishment and has developed a program to support ZEESM conceive, establish and support governance and sustainable and innovative development structures and systems in Oe-Cusse. The framework for UNDP’s support to Oe-Cusse ZEESM is built around two components: (i) governance (ii) sustainable and innovative development. Thus, as part of the rollout process of ZEESM there is a need to formulate policies and provide high-quality advice to support priority areas that have clear and strong forward linkages to the ZEESM. The proposed assistance is aligned with the priorities of the Fifth Constitutional Government as articulated under Timor-Leste Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 to establish special zones of the social market economy to transform the lives of the people of Oe-cusse with an integrated approach to sustainable, social and economic development.
In many more competitive economies, business incubation is one of the tools that have helped to create new entrepreneurial skills and new businesses. The incubation process that was developed has included services for on the spot diagnosis and treatment of business problems, dramatically lowering the usual early stage failure rate.
The overall strategic objective of the Oe-Cusse Business Incubator (OBI) is: To foster sustainable livelihoods in Oe-cusse through SME development and to build regional capacity to promote a business enabling environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Manager (PM), and the Secretary for the Community Tourism RAEOA&ZEESM, the Coordinator will execute and ensure specific activities for the implementation of the Oe-cusse Business Incubator development and related activities of ZEESM Project.
Lead the implementation of the Oe-Cusse Business Incubator
- Prepare annual work plan
- Prepare a calendar of activities and workshops
- Develop technical materials
- Elaborate monthly reports
- Leade team meetings
- Propose new ideas and develop agreements with different institutions to promote business development in the region
- Ensure all procurement processes are carried out following UNDP policies and procedures
- Ensure effective coordination with the Secretary of Tourism and other ZEESMTL authorities
Develop Business Plan for investment for at least 4 local business:
- Initiate, create and develop long-term relationships with local businesses to foster their capacity for production and investment.
- Assess the needs, constraints, strengths and weaknesses of each idea or local business.
- Facilitate Business planning to identify and establish business development opportunities.
- Develop the Business Plans for the investment of at least 4 local business.
- Support local business in the presentation of all documents for the “Competition of Ideas” stage.
- Identify training needs of local businesses
- Facilitate capacity building of small enterprises to address identified weaknesses.
- Develop a strategy/schedule to mentor and monitor the implementation of the business plans selected for investment.
- Organize, in coordination with all the team, the implementation of all activities, workshops, events of the Oe-cusse Business Incubator
Knowledge Building and sharing:
- Implement specific training for the local business
- Contribute to sharing lessons learned and knowledge with the project staff or related CO staff
- Prepare and implement workshops oriented to involve young people into business activities.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall project efficiency in local business development in Oe-cusse. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP credibility in use of resources and proper process management. The information provided facilitates decision making of the project management.
Required Skills and Experience
- High school or Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Economics, Administration, social sciences or related areas in economic development or business management an advantage (Desireable).
- At least 5 (five) years of relevance experience for High school or 2 (two) years for Bachelor degree in previous experience in business development support in the public or private sector.
- Experience in the usage of computers and word/excel package.
- Comfortable learning new software as needed, transferring the knowledge and providing training
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is an advantage
- Working knowledge of Tetun or Baikeno is compulsory
- and Portuguese is an advantage.