Who we are and what can you gain?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our vision is to develop smart UN facilities which are: Optimal and efficient in management and Sustainability, implemented to build modern age UNDP facilities around the globe that are fully aligned with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/OIMT Business Operations and Finance Internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context.
Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP OIMT unit.
Business Operations and Finance interns work with the Service Delivery team which is the first responder to country office needs and supports ICT and Green Energy projects from a procurement, logistics and finance side. The team works closely with the Copenhagen unit and colleagues across the globe to support operations and programme work in some of the most challenging work environments with energy and ICT infrastructure. As part of the crisis response group of UNDP this work also serves to support UNDP’s resilience and recovery efforts in the wake of natural disasters.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your responsabilities and assignments:
- Account management: Manage and multitask projects for 40 country offices across the unit´s key service lines delivering innovative business solutions, sustainable Green energy services, and world-connecting ICT solutions;
- Procurement of ICT equipment: Centralized buying of IT equipment on behalf of country offices ranging from need analysis, requests for quotation, evaluation, purchase and delivery;
- Logistical support: Global shipment of equipment with courier and freight forwarding partners, use of diplomatic cargo and assistance with customs clearance procedures;
- Finance: Cost recovery for country office orders in liaison with local counterparts, reconciliation of past purchases with actual cost, payments, budgeting and reporting;
- Project Management: Creatively develop and drive new projects for innovative ICT and Green Energy Solutions to be disseminated for UNDP offices as best practice for improvement of operations and business efforts;
- HR: Coordinating and leading the recruitment of new interns as well as maintaining the human resource on boarding/out bounding process;
- Knowledge Management: Continuous improvement of Service Delivery processes and procedures, instructions and templates for best practice;
- Organizing and coordinating with colleagues and third-party stakeholder in arranging workshops, conferences and inter-organisation meetings;
- Work with Microsoft SharePoint applications, design intranet pages to share information with Offices;
- Work with gathering, consolidating and analysing data from databases and reports;
- Supporting colleagues in administrative assignments and other ad hoc duties;
- Chairing and participate in global conference calls with country offices around the world.
Competencies and Attributes of Best Candidate:
- Has interest and understanding of customer-oriented service delivery, with focus on reliable ICT solutions, green energy and sustainable advisory measures for development efforts;
- Interest in delivering innovative and sustainable solutions for country offices, focusing on ICT and green renewable innovations;
- Experience and/or interest in procurement, logistics, finance/accounting is a plus;
- Proactive and hands-on approach, also when operating with limited information;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Proactive person with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Technical skills of best candidate:
- Efficient user of Microsoft Office O365 tools, with proficiency in Excel;
- SharePoint knowledge, preferably 2010 or later;
- Knowldge of quality standards and best practices;
- CRM/ERP systems knowledge is an advantage;
Required Skills and Experience
You must meet one of the following requirements:
- You are currently in the final year of your Bachelor's degree; or
- You are currently enrolled in a Master's degree; or
- You have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a master's degree or equivalent studies in the field of international business, finance, management, economics, administration or equivalent
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
- UNDP internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;however, you will gain valuable inight into UNDP and a global network;
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsering Government or institution;
- UNDP accepts no responsability for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- You are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for your education program;
- Eligibility for residency and undertaking internship in Denmark
- The intern will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accomodation etc.