UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Among the other 12 offices under UN Women Regional Office for West and Central Africa (WCARO), UN Women Senegal Programme Presence is based in Dakar, Senegal and works with Government, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), other UN Agencies and the Private Sector to contribute to achieve Gender Equality and Women Empowerment in Senegal. In order to be in full capacity to provide significant and effective response to GEWE issues in Senegal, the Senegal Programme Presence is in the process of becoming a fully-fledged Country Office. Based on UN Women Senegal 2019-2022 Strategic Note, UN Women Senegal focuses its efforts on the
following key thematics:
- Governance, women political participation and leadership;
- Women Economic Empowerment and;
- Ending Violence against women and girls. On top of these thematic areas, under the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2019-2023, UN Women Senegal Office assumes a leading coordination role within Senegal UN Country Team regarding gender mainstreaming issues.
UN Women Senegal is also in the process of mobilizing substantial resources from various donors (BNP Paribas, World Bank Group, African Development Bank, 9 donors-funded Women Count Program, etc.) requiring a strong business support and monitoring and reporting strategy in place and aligned with UN Women’s programmes and operations policies and procedures.
Reporting to the Coordinator of UN Women Senegal Programme, the Business Support and Monitoring, Reporting Analyst will provide support to the Office’s colleagues in incorporating monitoring and reporting into programme formulation as well as tracking against Strategic Plan targets and the reporting of results to internal and external audiences. Besides, the incumbent will provide substantive quality assurance support on day-to-day business including the utilization of relevant web-based results tracking systems and online platform for project/programme management required to ensure higher quality development results.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to Provide business support and guidance on work related to strategic planning, results-based monitoring and reporting:
- Provide technical support and guidance to offices during the corporate planning, monitoring and reporting phases associated with Strategic Notes and AWPs on how to use any applicable systems;
- Review planning, programme proposals, monitoring and reporting documents to assess the overall quality and compliance to corporate requirements to support appraisal and approval processes, as needed;
- Organize and coordinate review, appraisal and approval-related meetings and events with Senegal Project Officers as needed;
- Prepare analysis of performance and progress of Senegal projects against agreed on results and indicators;
- Collect, aggregate and analyze data and draft recommendations for Senegal Office’s overall programme and project quality improvement.
Facilitate and substantively contribute to the incorporation of monitoring and reporting into programme formulation:
- Facilitate and substantively contribute to the development of monitoring indicators, monitoring calendars, and field monitoring plans and quality assurance processes;
- Include inputs from relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations into programme formulation;
- Contribute to annual work plan monitoring, reviews and reporting;
- Provide technical support to partners in developing Performance Monitoring Frameworks (PMFs), systems and plans, and Baseline Surveys;
- Facilitate the clearance of donor agreements and Programme Cooperation Agreements with UN Women Senegal.
Contribute substantively to the monitoring and tracking of results against country/ regional level targets and UN Women Strategic Plan:
- Coordinate with Programme Team to ensure that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and standardized across programmes;
- Monitor data from partners on a quarterly basis and provide substantive inputs to regular management briefs to inform decision making;
- Visit partners, along with the Programme Team, to support monitoring of results and planning processes as required;
- Monitor the spending of donor funds and other programme expenditures and disbursements;
- Draft and monitor the UN Women Senegal’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Plan
Facilitate the reporting of results to internal (Senior Management) and external (Donors) audiences:
- Facilitate the process of UN Women Senegal meeting internal and external reporting requirements and deadlines, including annual reporting process;
- Draft donor and programme reports (both narrative and financial);
- Identify relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations and input them into programme reporting;
- Review progress reports submitted by partners and provide feedback to improve quality and timeliness of reporting;
- Collect and maintain data for country, regional and global corporate reports, mid-term reviews, and final evaluations.
- Provide technical support to the UN Women Senegal in the implementation the UN Women Evaluation Policy:
- Coordinate the implementation of UN Women’s Evaluation plan in UN Women Senegal;
- Provide guidance to programme staff on evaluations;
- Ensure communication between the UN Women Senegal and RO regarding Evaluations;
- Coordinate the completion of management’s response to the UN Women Global Accountability and Tracking of Evaluation Use (GATE).
Contribute to knowledge building and capacity building:
- Identify and disseminate good practices, lessons and knowledge, as identified through programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Contribute to the development of capacity development tools, including training materials and packages;
- Facilitate capacity building opportunities for staff and partners in the Senegal and other countries in the areas of Results Based Management (RBM), Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Promote the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) among all staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality technical support to the programme team and partners in line with work plan;
- Quality and timely development and review of systems for tracking/monitoring;
- Timely submission of quality and accurate reports;
- Quality support to Evaluation processes, including timely coordination of mission.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Good knowledge of programme formulation and implementation and Results Based Management;
- Good knowledge of monitoring and evaluation, evaluation design, data collection and analysis, and reporting;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports;
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Knowledge of UN programme management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Political or Social Science, Economics, International Development Studies, Gender/Women's Studies is required.
- At least 2 years of experience working with web-based results tracking systems, online platform for project/programme management, or other types of online systems in the context of international development work at country or regional levels;
- Knowledge and experience in programming and programme/project management;
- Experience in working with development institutions (e.g. UN agencies, multilateral/bilateral development institutions, etc.) in an asset;
- Experience in analyzing and summarizing quantitative and/or qualitative results data is an asset;
- Experience in providing help desk support, including conducting training and preparing user guides, for end users of IT system would be an asset;
- Experience in specification of business cases and functional requirements for IT system would be an asset.
- Fluency in English and French is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.