Business Support Assistant
World Food Programme, Gambela, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
To deliver standard business support processes for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
- Gather information with clear direction to support the drafting of documents and preparing reports by other staff.
- Respond to queries and escalate where appropriate, in order to provide timely and accurate service to clients.
- Support processing and managing routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
- Provide revision and proof-reading services for standard documents, to contribute to the development of accurate documentation.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance of set standard systems and files, to ensure information is accurate and readily available for the function.
- Identify simple discrepancies in statistics and data, such as missing information, and report to senior staff in order to support clients to deliver their work.
- Take responsibility for data integrity to facilitate availability of accurate information in corporate systems.
- Provide guidance on routine business support methods and practices to junior colleagues to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Work with a variety of individuals, taking on feedback where appropriate to assist in business support delivery for staff.
- Others as required.
- Undertake GH related jobs (guesthouse management, etc.)
- Petty cash management, if need be
- Management and Maintenance of proper filing system for managing documents, Project documents, and administrative documents.
- Handling of all incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Arrange and organize meetings and ensure timely setting up of meeting rooms
- Knowledge of corporate Fleet Management System software.
- Knowledge of Asset Management and Travel
- Knowledge of NFI and Stationary Management
- Basic knowledge of procurement.
- Raise travel authorizations and handle required clearances and approvals for official travels of employees.
- In coordination with the HR unit in Jijiga and Addis Ababa, responsible for key HR activities at the Sub-Office level including but not limited to advice to employees on their overall contractual status and entitlements, support to the recruitment process through invigilating written tests, arrangements for interviews and ensuring process and documentation are in line with applicable rules for local recruitments such as casual labour and enumerators.
- Make necessary administrative arrangements to prepare for the arrival of new employees and provide them with a welcome/ orientation briefing.
- Responsible for timely and accurate time management for all Sub-Office’s employees. This includes maintaining records of staff absences, updating the monthly attendance report, advising employees of their leave balances, consolidating accurate danger pay & overtime entitlements as applicable.
- Provide support and guidance to employees to obtain or renew UN ID cards and visas for official travels.
- Facilitate coordination for medical referrals and travels as required.
- Maintain up-to-date confidential personal files for all employees
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of secondary school education.
- Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
- Experience in Accounting or other financial service and Human Resources is an added advantage.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.