Business Support Assistant
World Food Programme, Johannesburg, South Africa
Closing Date for Applications:
The Business Support Assistant is an integral part of the RBJ VAM team. The primary mandate of VAM is to identify food insecure populations and their needs, provide early warning and generate information/knowledge to guide in formulating durable and better targeted food security and livelihood solutions at the regional level. The Assistant will be responsible for collating and organizing datasets; producing high quality maps and infographics used for regional analysis and understanding the regional socio-economic context and design of the Zero Hunger programmes for Southern Africa.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the implementation of Pillar 1 of the Regional VAM strategy on advanced analytics and evidence generation.
- Conduct in-depth analysis of data derived from remotely sensed images and mobile-based food and nutrition security monitoring systems and prepare relevant visualization.
- Assemble and maintain appropriate food and nutrition security indicators used internationally from different regional and global data services.
- Provide assistance in ensuring that rigorous quality data standards are maintained by VAM RB and COs.
- Maintain and manage the Geographic Information System (GIS) datasets for RBJ VAM Spatial Data Infrastructure.
- Produce high quality mapping products and infographics to support the RB functions and decision makers including the periodical EB meetings.
- Act as the VAM focal point for the roll out of drone mapping in the region.
- Provide technical support, including capacity building to Country Offices as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Completed Secondary School Education. A relevant qualification in GIS, Statistics, Data Science, Geography, Economics and Food security related social sciences is desirable.
- Completion of specialised training in quantitative analysis and data management is an added advantage.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
- A minimum of 4 years' role related experience is required.
- Skills required are SQL, GIS Mapping software (ArcGIS or QGIS) and statistical analysis software (SPSS or R or Python etc.) and desktop publishing software (Illustrator or MS Publisher) and report writing skills.
- Fluency (level C) in English language