The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Tajikistan’s five-year Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2019 – 2024 focuses on supporting national social protection and safety nets, nutrition, resilience-building and disaster risk reduction, aligning WFP’s support to national priorities and in synergy with the action of other partners. By means of the CSP, WFP is undertaking a strategic shift from direct implementation to enabling and strengthening capacities of national and sub-national institutions to deliver on their food security and nutrition priorities. WFP activities support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 2 (Zero Hunger) and 17 (Partnerships for the Goals). The geographic scope of WFP Tajikistan operations encompasses the entirety of the country.
Four of the five WFP Tajikistan CSP Strategic Outcomes (SO) are under the direct management of the programme unit. Main activities under these SOs include school feeding, prevention and treatment of moderate acute malnutrition, resilience and livelihoods building, and capacity strengthening for government agencies.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The above described initiatives require enhanced capacity at the country office level and strong support of the business processes. The Business Support Assistant – G5 (Programme) will perform administrative, financial, and information management functions for the programme unit and will require the ability to interpret policy and guidance to facilitate effective service delivery.
ACCOUNTABILITIES/RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE)
Reporting directly to the head of programme, and through close interactions with finance, administration, and supply chain units, as well as the programme activity teams, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Maintain relationships with a range of individuals through provision of business support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff;
- Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks (in WINGS, ITS, SCOPE, etc.) for each of the programmatic activity teams, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources; this includes primary responsibility for:
- Micro-purchase orders;
- Service outline agreements and purchase orders for field level agreements;
- Advance payments, routine tranches payments, and invoices of partners;
- Beneficiary cash disbursement transactions;
- Ensure adherence to corporate and country office policies and procedures related to beneficiary management and cash transfers dispersal (via SCOPE or offline mechanisms);
- Create and maintain an electronic information management system on the share space for documents, records and databases, ensuring the unit’s information is organised and readily available for staff;
- Collate inputs from each activity team for weekly programme plans, travel plans, leave plans, country briefs, situation reports, feedback on documents, and other similar products that require consolidation;
- Serve as secretariat for programme meetings;
- Serve as alternate for the activity programme assistants in relation to cooperating partner committee secretariat and other administrative functions;
- Contribute to improvement of business procedures and processes;
- Cross-cutting: Support the implementation of the WFP Tajikistan CSP through ensuring cross-cutting efforts such as nutrition-sensitivity, gender and diversity inclusion, protection and accountability, environmental protections, and capacity development, are integrated throughout the portfolio and within the office, and to ensure equal participation and consideration of women and men, boys and girls, and people living with specific needs and/or disabilities;
- Any other business.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Knowledge of specialised common business practices and methods gained through relevant technical training and experience;
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide high quality support service;
- Ability to conduct basic data analysis and independently rectify problems;
- Ability to monitor and record financial transactions;
- Good communication skills and ability to work with a variety of individuals;
- Experience with data/information management and organization;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of secondary school education; post-secondary certificate in the related functional area (e.g., finance, administration, systems management, computer sciences, etc.) is desirable;
- Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administration and/or information management.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in oral and written Russian and/or Tajik is required.