The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
At this level, jobholder is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to various queries only with general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen operational problems daily.
Understand the business processes of WFP and accomplish the necessary business support activities of the unit. Understand and continue to learn the dynamics of working with Government and other agencies and interacting with Government Officials, including communication mechanism and maintenance of government protocols. The jobholder reports to the Head, Social Safety Net Policies and Programmes.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist the Head, Social Safety Net Policies and Programmes in developing meeting notes and in supporting meeting logistics;
- Compile Training Plan and monthly Field Visit Plan of all staff members with inputs from various units;
- Raise PR in WINGS as per the approved Quarterly Procurement Request (QPR);
- Regularly follow-up with relevant units/sections to ensure that requested purchases are done and the payments to the vendors are made in a timely manner;
- Draft letters as required and arrange to send to the recipients in a timely manner;
- Assist in organizing workshops and missions, arrange logistics support to organize mission visits, seminars, workshops, training etc.;
- Follow-up with programmes on review/submission of programme briefs and presentations;
- Provide administrative and practical supports to section staff in processing Travel Authorization and Security Clearance.
- Serve as a focal point to maintain and preserve necessary documents/records and reports of the section;
- Maintain close liaison with colleagues within the section as well as other sections/units to ensure spending of all programme activities in line with the plans;
- Work closely with section colleagues and contribute in planning and organizing training/orientation sessions for section staff;
- Undertake other relevant activities, as necessary.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Familiarity with the WFP Business processes and the social security programmes that are focusing food security and nutrition security and their benefits, policies and strategies;
DELIVERABLES /OUTPUTS EXPECTED:
- Contributed in successful implementation of all activities under Outcome 1;
- Accomplished the necessary business support activities associated with the Head, Social Safety Net Policies and Programmes including raising PR, preparing TAs, arranging SCs, organizing meetings, workshops, seminars etc.;
- Contributed in preparing work plans, monitoring progresses against targets, monitoring budget and expenditures;
- Maintained and preserved all necessary documents, records and reports;
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: At least a Bachelor degree in business administration, social science or relevant subject.
- Experience: At least 06 (six) years of experience in Social Protection, Food Security, Nutrition Security and related fields possibly with a UN organization or international development organization;
- Language : Very good written and oral communications skills in both in Bangla and English
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good understanding on the National Social Security Strategy of Bangladesh;
- Strong interpersonal skills, consistency in follow-up, ability to work with diverse teams, capability to provide business support activities and independent ability to organize meetings, workshops, seminars etc. Ddemonstrated ability to deal with multidisciplinary/multicultural team; Proven capacity to coordinate and communicate with Government officials; Very good computer operation skills;