Are you passionate about helping diverse communities thrive, be heard, and establish their own narrative and path? Are you experienced in helping find the money needed to fund that sort of transformative change, and sustaining it for the future?
The Listening Post Collective includes dozens of startup newsrooms and longstanding outlets that are committed to participatory journalism practices. We’re looking to hire a dynamic new team member who can work directly with our partners to design and implement business sustainability strategies that meet the unique needs, assets and opportunities that our partners have to offer. Additionally, this position will be dedicated to spearheading new business and sustainability models for the Listening Post Collective, so that we can continue to provide direct support to our collective of partners across the country for years to come.
Our ideal candidate will bring their unique business, marketing, and community building skills to our team and help create a roadmap for the Listening Post Collective and partners to realize a more sustainable future.
Business sustainability support for local partners (50% LOE)
- Create and maintain a working methodology of business sustainability best practices to share with US based partners
- Work with Listening Post Collective partners one-on-one, to help them experiment with a range of revenue generating models including grants, membership, coops, events, product development, subscriptions, and crowdfunding
- Collaborate with Internews staff to share best practices and encourage learning across teams
- Keep up to date on leading research, case studies and best practices for business sustainability models supporting independent media in the US
- Develop strategies and case studies for building community supported business sustainability plans for local media
Listening Post Collective Business Plan (50% LOE)
- Support the overall planning and strategic development for the Listening Post Collective and other US Programs.
- Understand and expertly articulate Listening Post Collective’s mission, vision and funding priorities to donors and funders
- Identify and cultivate funding prospects and other strategic partnerships
- Drive the Listening Post Collective marketing and external engagement plan including branding, design, and placement
- Support US programs grant writing including concept notes and formal applications
- Collaborate with Development and Communications staff at Internews to identify opportunities and areas of collaboration
- Maintain donor interactions on Internews’ Salesforce donor database
- Keep abreast of relevant industry trends and best practices and share that knowledge with others
- Business education OR equivalent professional experience
- Experience with building and/or managing diverse revenue streams
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with donors
- Experience with community engagement
- Successful grant writing experience
- Experience working with start-up businesses and organizations
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
- Marketing and branding experience an asset
- Understanding of and commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values