C-IED Project Manager
UNOPS, Bamako, Mali
Closing Date for Applications:
In line with applicable UN policies and Security Council Mandates, the Counter– Improvised Explosive Device (C-IED) Project Manager is responsible for the establishment and development of prevention and mitigation procedures for managing the IED threat to UN personnel, property and programmes. S/he will act as the local focal point between UNMAS/MINUSMA and other key stakeholders under the guidance and direction of the UNMAS Programme Manager. S/he will be responsible for the following functions:
- Liaison for all C-IED matters between UNMAS HQ, MINUSMA, Operation Barkhane, EUTM, MDSF, specific programmes and other key stakeholders in country;
- Ensure, with the Programme Manager, that the Mission is kept abreast of changes to the IED context, mitigation measures planned or in place, and other key areas relevant for the safety, security and freedom of movement of MINUSMA and the delivery of the mission mandate;
- Facilitate the coordination and delivery of the MINUSMA Counter IED Action Plan, in line with the Mission Concept, and Mandate, through the provision of technical advice, coordination, and support for joint initiatives within MINUSMA;
- Monitor and report, at the strategic technical level, on the delivery of UNMAS counter-IED support to MINUSMA in line with budgeted deliverables;
- Analyse the effectiveness and appropriateness of UNMAS C-IED support to MINUSMA in all areas on an ongoing basis, including the proposal and implementation of options for course correction or reprioritization based on the needs of the Mission, and the Mali context;
- The development of technical standards and guidelines in relation to C-IED, for MINUSMA;
- Development and implementation of local technical solutions to IED threats, identifying shortfalls, and time frames for prevention and mitigation measures;
- Coordination of the establishment of a detailed C-IED information database and development of tasking and reporting procedures based on existing online systems;
- Liaison with appropriate in-country law enforcement agencies to facilitate information sharing on asymmetric threats, including IED;
- Continually assessing and analysing the operational context for areas of improvement in efficiency, effectiveness and safety within the local C-IED threat;
- Assessment and recommendation of new training requirements in prevention and mitigation measures, including through the introduction of new technology, equipment, materials, and processes;
- Facilitate the capacity development of national security authorities for the protection of civilians against IED threats;
- Document plans and processes;
- Identify continuous improvements and lessons learned;
- Identify risks and plan risk mitigation strategies and report on the progress of deployment activities;
- Implement any other tasks requested by the UNMAS Programme Manager or his/her delegated officers.
- Advanced University Degree (Masters Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience; or a First Level University Degree (Bachelors Degree or equivalent) with a minimum of 9 years of relevant experience; or Military Experience (or relevant Police Experience) at the Senior NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) or Officer level (or equivalent) with a minimum of 13 years of relevant experience.
- At least 7 years of experience in the field of C-IED strategy and operations.
- Fluency in spoken and written French is required, intermediate English is also required.