The Capacity Building Specialist will increase the organizational capacity of district-level CSOs across Indonesia. S/he will work with the Senior Technical Advisor and a team of field-based coordinators to assess and improve partner CSOs’ effectiveness, efficiency, relevance, and sustainability through one-on-one hands on mentoring and learning, on-demand technical assistance (TA), learning-by-doing activities, group trainings, and relationship building with local government. S/he will support the development and adaptation of a suite of FHI 360 organizational development (OD) tools and approaches and provide mentoring, guidance, and resources for project field-based coordinators working with partner CSOs. S/he will also propose innovative, results-driven recommendations to adapt civil society strengthening interventions and work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (ME&L) team to meet and exceed the project’s output, outcome, and impact indicators.
Availability of position is contingent upon award to FHI 360. Position is expected to begin on March, 2019.
- Facilitate partner CSOs’ self-assessment of their organizational and financial capacities using tools such as the Organizational Performance Index (OPI) and Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA);
- Collaborate with partner CSOs to facilitate training and development plans based on OPI and OCA results and informed by a Capacity Building 2.0 approach;
- Manage and work with a team of 32 field-based coordinators to provide partner CSOs with one-on-one hands on mentoring and learning, on-demand TA, learning-by-doing activities, group trainings, and relationship building with local government; ensure partner CSOs meet goals identified in training and development plans;
- Engage partner CSOs in sustainability support and activities related to Indonesia’s Presidential Regulation on Public Procurement (Perpres 16/2018) and opportunities related to public philanthropy, crowd sourcing, social enterprise development, and corporate social responsibility (CSR);
- Contribute to the development of a performance measurement system for CSOs, including recommendations for the institutionalization of this system within existing local structures;
- Collaborate with the Local Governance Specialist to provide TA to district governments to build their understanding of the benefits of engaging with local CSOs and methods for implementing Perpres 16/2018;
- Collaborate with the Local Governance Specialist to develop curriculum and seminars for partner CSOs on local government structure, local governance Perda-making, and engagement;
- Engage partner CSOs in CSO network activities and initiatives that increase CSOs’ relevance to communities;
- Increase partner CSOs’ abilities to engage constructively and effectively with local government officials, including policy makers (e.g., Bupatis, Sekretaris, Daerahs), mid-level officials (heads of Dinas, Dinas staff), and frontline service providers;
- Develop content for the project’s Innovation and Expertise Hub, including by sourcing expertise for the Hub and developing and updating curriculum included in the Hub;
- Thoughtfully include gender and social inclusion (GESI) considerations across civil society strengthening interventions;
- Work with the Senior Technical Advisor to identify good practices for replication; and
- Work closely with communication and knowledge management division to document partner CSO success stories for knowledge sharing, reporting, and replication.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, education, law, political science, public administration, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in OD, ME&L, and gender mainstreaming for United States Government (USG) and/or other donor projects required.
- At least 10 years of experience providing training, mentoring, and TA to local CSOs and district-level governments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and consultants, and to set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities required;
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance required.
- Demonstrated ability to design and adapt tools and document success stories and project learning for replication.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia required.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.