Capacity Development Advisor
UNOPS, Kathmandu with visits to Project districts as necessary, Nepal
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Capacity Development Advisor (CDA) will be responsible for coordination and quality assurance of various activities under Capacity Development Component of MIP Project for Nepal Police.
- This includes Strengthening Performance Management System, Training and Development, Operations and Maintenance among others.
- We will have service providers for each of the activities.
- Service providers for Strengthening Performance Management System and Developing Training and Development Strategy are already on board.
- The CDA will work closely with the service provider and have oversight on each of the activities to ensure that the quality of the final outputs from the service providers is acceptable to UNOPS and Nepal Police.
- He will not be responsible himself to produce the outputs but will supervise the service providers to ensure quality products.
- Assist in overseeing of all Capacity Development functions of the UNOPS/MIPP under the supervision of the MIPP Project Manager and in close consultation with the SPTA - to i) implement PMS, ii) to develop O&M strategy and implementation plan, iii) to carry out training needs assessment and to develop NP T&D strategy and action plans, and iv) to facilitate in the capacity development process of the NP – R&PD.
- The CDA will be accountable to the Project Manager and SPTA for the delivery of PMS, O&M assessment and strategy, T&D strategy and action plans and capacity strengthening of the R&PD for the Nepal Police.
- The CDA will also participate in liaising and coordinating with all IP-SSJ partners and other external stakeholders.
Following specific responsibilities are to be delivered by the CDA with Nepal Police as beneficiary government agency in consultation with DFID as the financing development partner:
- Development and implementation of the Performance Management System for Nepal Police: Provide technical and quality assurance support to the PMS implementing agency – regularly engage with the agency, engage with relevant department of the Nepal Police, supervise the PMS process, consult with SPTA, share practical experience on PMS from the past experience, and carry out any other activities to coordinate all capacity development functions of the MIPP – PMS, O&M, forensics, and implementation of overall training and development activities, supervise the implementation of PMS training and use of PMS by NP staff at selected districts.
- Assessment of O&M capability, strategic resource management and O&M strategy and action plans for Nepal Police: Supervise and guide the assessment of O&M system and capacity of the NP, implementing strategic resource management assessment and developing strategy for effective financial resource management, development of O&M strategy and action plans, implementation of O&M training and ensuring regular follow up support for the Nepal Police.
- Oversight and supervision in the implementation of training needs analysis (TNA) and development of T&D strategy and action plans for Nepal Police: Supervise the implementation of TNA processes, ensure processes are managed in line with the ToR in close consultation with the relevant sections and departments of the Nepal Police, ensure TNA reports are in line with the requirement, review TNA report and coordinate comments of UNOPS team, consult with DFID as appropriate, advice the service providers to finalize TNA report and to develop strategy and action plans in line with the report recommendations. Provide ongoing support to the Nepal Police in the delivery of T&D strategy and action plans by coordinating within UNOPS, DFID and other IP-SSJ partners.
- Capacity strengthening of the Research and Planning Directorate (R&PD): Review and finalize current draft concept on strengthening R&PD capacity, consult for international best practices from similar context, develop an implementation plan to implement capacity strengthening processes, select and engage with service provider in close consultation with the R&PD, NP, and carry out any other activities for effective delivery of capacity strengthening function.
- Technical support to MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) functions of MIPP: Provide guidance and technical support to staff engaged in monitoring and reporting, ensuring milestones and baselines are established appropriated and provide ongoing support to ensure milestones are met, ensure all necessary evidence base are maintained, engage with DFID and MEL service provider on MEL aspects, promote learning and sharing culture within MIPP and across IP-SSJ partners
- Technical support to MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) functions of MIPP:: Coordinate effectively with the Infrastructure Team for effectiveness in capacity strengthening functions, coordinate with IP-SSJ development partners to complement learn and share best practices and lessons, coordinate with the PAHUNCH programme and other partners financed under IP-SSJ, manage coordination under each of the thematic areas of IP-SSJ, assist the MIPP project manager in monthly and quarterly reporting and communications, and carry out any other activities as directed by the SPTA and Project Manager for effectiveness in coordination and communication aspects of the MIPP.
- Gender equality and social inclusion: Ensure that the gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) elements are integrated and adhered to throughout the process and in the system and procedures of the NP, ensure that MIPP approaches to GESI are informed well and integrated within NP so that all personnel feel equally treated within the Nepal Police
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Development and implementation of the Performance Management System for Nepal Police
- Supervise and guide the assessment and development of O&M system and capacity of the NP
- Oversight and supervision in the implementation of training needs analysis (TNA) and development of T&D Strategy and action plans for Nepal Police
- Support Capacity strengthening of the Research and Planning Directorate (R&PD
- Technical support to MEL (monitoring, evaluation and learning) functions of MIPP
- Provide support to integrate gender equality and social inclusion in MIPP approaches
- Support PM in producing Project reports and
- Coordination and communication with IP SSJ partners and Project stakeholders
- A Master’s degree in the relevant field of studies and at least 5 years required work experience or
- Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field of studies with at least 7 years of relevant experience of strengthening of PMS, O&M and T&D system and procedures
- Previous experience of working with Police or engagement with Nepal Police or similar law enforcement agencies will be preferable
- Functional knowledge and expertise of capacity development with relevance to security and justice sector
- Overall knowledge, understanding and experience of the areas under specific responsibilities with an in-depth experience and expertise under at least two of the areas mentioned above
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (able to prepare and write documents) and proficiency in computer skills especially Microsoft office applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of Nepali is required