Background Information - Job-specific
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed an agreement with the Government of Myanmar to improve capacity for strengthening climate and disaster resilience in the country. As part of the agreement, UNOPS Myanmar is required to implement the Output 3 that is to increase awareness and capacity for disaster risk financing among government and the private sectors through LIFT. LIFT is a multidonor trust fund providing funding for projects supporting the lives and prospects of rural poor in Myanmar together with technical expertise and targeted research. Currently, LIFT works with 14 microfinance institutions (MFIs) in Myanmar, comprising two-thirds of the MFI lending portfolio in the country.
UNOPS Myanmar is seeking a Capacity Development Officer for the development and implementation of of capacity development activities in Disaster resilient microfinance project.This position will report to the Microfinance Specialist/Team Leader who will provide broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting strengthening Climate and Disaster Resilience of Myanmar Communities. The technical assistance (TA) will be implemented at the national level with specific pilots in the Ayeyarwady Region.
Under the direct supervision of Microfinance specialist (Team Leader), the position holder will perform the implementation of activities in terms of developing a disaster risk assessment methodology and conducting disaster risk assessments, and strengthening awareness and capacity of MFI in disaster risk assessment and recovery planning. S/he will carry out the following tasks, in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices.
- Develop materials for the capacity development of MFIs in disaster and recovery planning and of communities in Ayeyarwady region in potential financial risk management product, including the translation of materials
- Identification of target communities for training
- Delivery of capacity development training, including responsibility for logistical arrangements
- Preparation of capacity development accomplishment reports
- Day-to-day coordination of the implementation of activities under the project
- Other programme management tasks as necessary.
- Actively interact with other stakeholder to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Other knowledge management tasks as necessary.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Ensure that the project delivers the defined outputs within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope and benefits. The Specialist is also responsible for the project producing a result capable of achieving the benefits defined in the Business Case.
- Compliance with UNOPS policies, regulation and rules, ensuring improved efficiency of the MMOC leading to success in the implementation of the project, leading to partner satisfaction.
- An Advanced University Degree (Master's or equivalent) in business management, social sciences, business administration, public administration, or any relevant discipline is required
- A First-Level University Degree (Bachelor's) in combination with 2 years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in capacity development, preferably with experience in the microfinance sector is required. A Bachelor degree with minimum 4 years of similar experience is considered as equivalent.
- Experience with capacity development in Myanmar would be advantage.
- Working knowledge of Microfinance best practices is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent analysis, identify issues, evaluate options, recommend solutions and write analytical or summative reports is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in public sector capacity analysis and assessment, and/or capacity strengthening is highly preferred.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions is required
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Myanmar languages is required.