Overall Purpose of the Role
DRC Ethiopia is looking for an experienced Cash Specialist who will provide targeted and high quality technical oversight, guidance, hands-on implementation support and strengthening the capacity of DRC’s cash-based emergency response. A specific focus of the role is to oversee assessment, targeting, implementation and monitoring of basic needs and multi-purpose cash assistance for IDPs in DRC’s areas of operation. Alongside an expectation to hit the ground running, this position represents an excellent opportunity to provide technical leadership in an exciting and challenging context, and to strategically develop the quality, impact and protection integration of DRC’s emergency basic needs and cash-based response.
Technical Coordination and Support
- Provide flexible and high-quality technical oversight, guidance and hands-on implementation support on emergency basic needs and cash-based assistance.
- In close collaboration with the Head of Program and Emergency Advisor, ensure that program strategy, design and implementation evolves in line with changing contexts, and needs and preferences of affected communities, and is integrated with other DRC sectors and areas of intervention, specifically protection.
Lead on delivery of the following core components:
- Basic needs and markets-based assessment and response design using DRC’s Modality Due Diligence and Cash Feasibility methodology, guidance and tools.
- Community-based vulnerability criteria and targeting.
- Timely implementation of multi-purpose and protection-oriented/integrated cash assistance for the identified beneficiary caseload.
- Monitoring of DRC’s basic needs cash assistance in West Guji – to understand process, outcomes and impact; and document and action lessons learned to inform adapted and higher quality response.
- Lead development/adaptation of – and training of relevant team members in – core technical tools and guidance
Programming and Technical Support:
- Programme Development and Quality Assurance
- Assure compliance with DRC standards and procedures, and alignment with area and country strategy, including through regular coordination with colleagues in support services at Area Office and Country Office level.
- Provide technical review of relevant proposals and reports, and support to donor communications/reporting as required
- Oversight of overall programme implementation progress; identification, resolution and/or escalation of issues.
- Lead on developing and coordinating needed assessments, data collection and analysis to inform evidence-based response analysis, programme design, and adaptive implementation.
- Coordinate and ensure delivery of risk assessments and mitigation measures related to emergency response programming
- Adapt and develop standard operating procedures (SOPs) for DRC’s basic needs cash assistance and work collaboratively with programme and support services colleagues to ensure understanding of and adherence to the SOPs
- Complete regular field visits to deliver technical oversight, identify needs, provide support, trouble shoot, strengthen capacity, and ensure quality response programming
- Identify technical or programmatic gaps and provide training, mentoring and capacity building as required, and specifically for technical line reports
- Support recruitment of technical staff involved in supporting DRC’s basic needs and cash-based programming
- Contribute up to 10% of time supporting the Ethiopia Cash Working Group as a member of the Steering Committee providing technical and strategic advice.
- Appropriately and professionally represent and advocate on behalf of DRC in the context of the above-mentioned duties and responsibilities
- In particular – and in collaboration with the Head of Program and Emergency Advisor– deliver sustained, impactful, context-sensitive and participatory engagement with and capacity strengthening of local authorities, local community representatives, and any other relevant key partners or stakeholders to DRC’s programming
- Any other duties as agreed with the Head of Program and Emergency Advisor.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Reporting: The Cash specialist will report to the Head of program
Experience and technical competencies:
- Professional technical experience evidencing and demonstrating ability to deliver against the above-mentioned responsibilities:
- Masters in Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or other relevant field
- Minimum 5 years’ international humanitarian field experience, with specific focus on cash-based programming
- Experience in rapidly changing humanitarian and emergency contexts, and of working with forcibly displaced people
- Relevant practitioner knowledge of and experience with relevant cash and markets-based programming technical tools and guidance, and in particular of the Basic Needs Approach and using Multi-Purpose Cash
- Strong operational/implementation knowledge of cash-based programming – both modalities, and on payment systems/transfer mechanisms
- Experience delivering targeted and high quality technical training and capacity building, including in settings with remote technical management/limited access
- Substantial experience in both a technical advisory role and with hands-on programme management and implementation across the project/programme cycle
- Confident and effective representation and communication skills
- Strong proposal development and report-writing skills
- Analytical thinking and supervisory skills
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to determine priorities and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and coordination skills, including working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Previous technical advisory and implementation experience in, and understanding of, the Ethiopia context is highly desirable
Languages: Excellent verbal and written English.