Chief Epidemiologist/M&E Director
FHI 360, Washington DC, United States
Closing Date for Applications:
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), through the Control and Elimination Program for Neglected Tropical Diseases (CEP-NTD), support disease-endemic countries to control and/or eliminate NTDs with proven, cost-effective public health interventions. Building on the successes that have been achieved through previous USAID investments to expand national, integrated NTD programs, CEP-NTDs will continue to support countries in their advancement towards the attainment of global elimination goals, and to support them to effectively access and leverage the drug donations needed to control NTDs that cannot be eliminated with current strategies.
- Provide technical leadership in epidemiology and serve as technical lead for the M&E activities.
- Support MOHs/NTD Programs to develop M&E plans that are in line with the program priorities and WHO guidelines for the selected diseases;
- Provide technical support to NTD programs to secure that disease specific assessments (DSA) are planned and executed per WHO guidelines and best practices;
- Provide technical support to NTD Programs for a sound and timely execution of DSAs.
- Assist MOHs in the development and execution of post elimination surveillance plans for LF, trachoma and oncho.
- Assist MOHs in the execution of periodical Data Quality Assessments (DQA) to improve reporting and Monitoring and Evaluation systems and Programs Quality Improvements (PQI) to increase project effectiveness and efficiency;
- Prepare yearly program and diseases work books in close cooperation with the MOHs for submission to USAID;
- Assist NTDs Programs to develop accurate projections for drugs need and timely submission of joint reporting forms to WHO for drugs application;
- Support the MOHs on organizing national databases for NTDs diseases with special attention to tropical data for trachoma;
- Support the development and implementation of M&E plans for Schistosomiasis/ Soil-Transmitted Helminths (SCH/STH) transition plans;
- Collaborate with FHI360 in the conceptualization and implementation of policies that enable the “mainstreaming” of NTDs programs into the national health system;
- Coordinate with FI360 the needs for short term technical assistance to build technical capacity of the MOH NTDs programs;
- Participate in technical, coordination and policy meetings proposed by USAID, WHO and others as appropriate;
- Participate in resource development activities.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of the department and division.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables, within area and function guidelines.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to the appropriate global strategy and remains technically sound.
- 11+ Years of experience in Epidemiology and implementation of M&E programs for NTDs and other infectious diseases.
- Considered an expert in epidemiology and/or NTDs.
- Informed of current program developments in NTDs surveillance.
- Oversee and leads projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Familiar with donor/client funded programs and corresponding regulations and communication styles.
- Written and published materials related to technical area e.g., journal articles, job aids, training curricula, and other tools.
- Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
- Master’s or PhD Degree or its International Equivalent • Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development or Related Field.
- Fluent in English and French.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.