Location Geneva, Switzerland
Start Date June-July 2019
Full/part-time Full time
Closing date for applications 05 April 2019
The Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) works towards reducing risks to communities stemming from explosive ordnance, with a particular focus on mines, cluster munitions, other explosive remnants of war and ammunition storages. The GICHD helps develop and professionalise the mine action sector for the benefits of its partners: national and local authorities, donors, the United Nations, other international and regional organisations, non-governmental organisations, commercial companies and academia. It does so by combining three distinct lines of service: field support focused on capacity development and advice, multilateral work focused on norms and standards, and research and development focused on cutting-edge solutions. The GICHD benefits from its location in Maison de la Paix in Geneva to cooperate closely with organisations dedicated to humanitarian action development, disarmament, peace and security.
The Chief of Mine Action Programmes has a critical role of leadership, management and coordination over the four thematic divisions of the GICHD mine action programmes (Strategies & Standards, Operational Efficiency, Information Management, Gender and Mine Action Programme), the country-specific programmes and the division providing resource mobilisation, grants management and communication services.
The Chief of Mine Action Programmes reports to the GICHD Director and is a member of the management board. He/she directly supervises five Heads of Division and has close working relationships with the Heads of External Relations, Policy & Cooperation Programmes, Ammunition Management Advisory Team, Support & Administration as well as the Implementation Support Units of the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention and the Convention on Cluster Munitions.
Programmes Management and Coordination
- Foster the development and implementation of the mine action programmes and of the country-specific programmes, striving for an entrepreneurial culture, cost-effectiveness and the achievement of results
- Ensure the coordination and cooperation of projects and activities within the mine action programmes and with the External Relations, Policy & Cooperation Programmes Division. Chair of the bi-weekly Programmes Coordination Meeting (PCM)
- Coordinate with the Cooperation Programmes on the substantive content of workshops as they pertain to the agenda of the mine action programmes and the country-specific programmes
- Oversee the development and updating of sub-strategies and sub-budgets within the mine action programmes and the country-specific programmes
- Foster gender mainstreaming and the empowerment of women and girls throughout the mine action programmes and the country-specific programmes
- Ensure the compliance of activities and outputs with the policies and Internal Rules and Regulations of the GICHD
- Foster a collaborative, respectful and enabling work environment, diversity and inclusiveness
External coordination and business development
- Network with national directors and other current and potential partners in view of the provision of support and assistance as well as joint projects and pooling of resources with partners such as NGOs, commercial operators, militaries and research establishments
- Act as the GICHD focal point for communication with UN Agencies dealing with Mine Action, including UNMAS, UNDP and UNICEF, on operational matters
- Represent the GICHD on the UN Inter-Agency Coordination Group
- Coordinate the GICHD contribution to the organisation, planning and running of the annual International Meeting of Mine Action National Directors and UN Advisers as well as the biannual Technology Workshop
- Facilitate and promote coordination and cooperation with the Implementation Support Units for the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention and the Convention on Cluster Munitions and promote collaboration at an operational level between partners at the Maison de la Paix in Geneva
- Identify and pursue business opportunities for the GICHD mine action and country-specific programmes in line with the strategy
Fundraising, Grant Management
- As a member of the resource mobilisation team chaired by the Director, contribute to the development and implementation of a donor fundraising strategy and work plan, liaise with current and potential donors and contracting agencies, and raise funds for the mine action programmes and the country-specific programmes
- Develop funding proposals and reporting to donors jointly with the Head of Grants Management & Communication GICHD Strategy and RBM Implementation
- Contribute to the implementation and further development of the management (RBM) framework underpinning the GICHD Strategy
- Maintain an overview of progress against the strategy implementation, in collaboration with the Results-based management Coordinator
- Substantial experience in managerial/executive functions in international development cooperation, humanitarian affairs, disarmament, security sector reform, peace-building or post-conflict reconstruction
- Academic education in development studies, economics, public or business administration, international relations, political sciences or other subjects of relevance
- Demonstrated experience of leading the development, delivery and review of results-based and global strategies and programmes
- Experience in Mine Action, or an advanced understanding of Mine Action as a component of human security and socio-economic development
- Competence in programme management and tools, budgeting and financial monitoring in a desk/headquarters environment; and an ability to identify and manage risks
- Competence and management style to lead, motivate and empower individuals and teams from diverse backgrounds
- Competence in developing networks and partnerships with organisations and states
- Experience in donor relations with bilateral and multilateral assistance agencies, companies and/or foundations, with knowledge of grant management mechanisms and reporting
- Inter-personal communication skills to engage effectively with a wide range of stakeholders from diverse cultures and sectors
- High proficiency in oral and written English
- Availability to travel regularly for short missions worldwide
- Competence in the application of Results-based management, Theories of change, strategic and programme planning/monitoring/ reporting
- Applied practice or an understanding of gender and diversity mainstreaming in strategic planning and programming
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Portuguese or another language spoken in mine-ERW affected countries
To apply please follow this link GICHD Job Application Portal and register your candidacy through the online platform. Your application will contain a CV in English of maximum 5 pages, a letter of motivation and any other additional material you wish to present in support of your candidacy.
The GICHD implements a Gender and Diversity policy and is an equal opportunities employer. Applications are encouraged from women and men, nationals of mine-affected countries and individuals with a disability or special needs, who meet the above profile requirements.
There is no restriction placed on candidates’ nationalities, the GICHD will facilitate the immigration procedure and work visa of the incumbent in Switzerland.
GICHD website www.gichd.org
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube
For further information please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com