The COO partners with the MD and his peers in pursuing HFH India’s Vision, Mission and Strategic Objectives. S/He provides leadership and strategic direction to Programs (DR3 included) and the Resource Development functions. The role holder shall be responsible for ensuring that programs and operational plans are implemented according to the strategic plan as well as the applicable Industry, Governmental and Habitat regulations, policies and standards.
- Supervises: Sr. Dir. Programs, Sr. Dir. Resource Development, Dir. Govt. Relations, Dir. Special Projects, Dir. Disaster Response and Risk Reduction (DR3), Sr. Dir. Information Management & Technology (IM&T)
- Works with: Dir. HR & Admin, Dir. Communications, CFO, Associate Director – Internal Controls and Assistant Manager – Legal Affairs
- Leads the implementation of the strategic plans and long-term goals, oversees the annual planning and budgeting process of the operations and programs groups and ensures its alignment with HFH India goals.
- Develops new initiatives to support the strategic direction of HFH India and originates funding proposals and partnerships for the continued delivery of Habitat programs and services.
- Identifies key risks that could prevent the achievement of the strategic plan and proposes relevant mitigation measures.
- Defines a program evaluation framework and sets up the programmatic assessment of various initiatives being implemented to identify best practices and areas of improvement.
- Manages and cultivates existing relationships with funders and partners to secure and expand program funding streams.
- Publicly represents HFH India and promotes its vision and mission.
- Develops a detailed annual operating plan of HFH INDIA that will allow the organization to achieve its strategic plan.
- Organizes his/her group(s) into resource-efficient and effective operating units.
- Ascertains cost efficiency of business processes especially in relation to house-builds from project development to house turn-over and ensures its alignment with other internal business processes and procedures.
- Ensures the compliance of house-builds and other program activities to relevant industry, governmental and Habitat regulations, policies and standards (e.g. HfHI: SOE, GMT, SICP).
- Ensures that high-quality control systems and procedures are applied to all the phases of the project management cycle.
- Oversees the programmatic monitoring, documentation and evaluation of programs implemented including accurate and timely reporting of all program activities internally and externally.
- Manages and monitors program and project funds ensuring expenditures are within approved budgets; monitors variances in cash flows and addresses these in consultation with the MD.
- Keeps the MD abreast with program activities and developments, consults with the MD on recommendations to address risks, challenges and other critical issues on the ground.
Proactively seeking out opportunities to represent Habitat India externally in India on issues relating to strategic and Effective Giving, Philanthropy, Corporate Social Responsibility, Social Investment and Social Impact
- Prospect Identification – Identify and tap potential SMEs and Corporates for fundraising
- Donor Relations Management – Work closely with the program team to ensure project completion reports are prepared in tandem with donor requirement and submitted in a timely manner.
- Business and Targets – Providing leadership and support to the team for implementing their fundraising plans, achieving individual targets and developing their relationships with companies/ other donors
- Donor Engagement & Events – Conceptualizing new fundraising campaigns and also preparing fundraising marketing material and content, with the Communications team; Leading the campaigns from conception, coordination, and till the logistics front of executing them.
Support /facilitate/influence public policies and regulations related to land, housing and sanitation. Enhance and optimize Habitat *India’s profile and reputation through the delivery of coordinated communications, targeted at Key Regulators, Government *Officials, and other policymakers both, directly and through appropriate channels available in the Development (NGO) Sector; more specifically in the housing for low-income families / EWS community.
Provide Leadership and Accountability in conceptualizing, designing, initiation and handholding of Special Projects. Special *Projects will include complex issues such as relocation/rehabilitation of displaced communities, multi-sectoral engagements, and marginalized groups such as sex workers in Karnataka, Farmers’ widows, Ragpickers (girl children), Martyrs’ families and HIV affected/infected individuals/groups. Special projects will also include projects to be supported by strategic donors including government, bilateral/multilateral agencies and important Foundations.
DR3 (Disaster Response & Risk Reduction):
Drive the quality and effectiveness of HFH India’s Emergency Response, Recovery and Rehabilitation Program. Support HFH *India’s disaster risk Reduction and Response operations and lead through various interventions such as disaster management policy formulation, Institutional framework/mechanism for disaster risk management, capacity building and awareness-raising, and community-based disaster risk management.
IM&T (Information Management & Technology):
Ensure the efficient and effective flow of organizational information and data. Drive Data Analytics to help implement organization’s strategy, systems and processes across all inter-dependent departments of the organization with the end objective to ensure consistent and timely delivery of results and information to all stakeholders (including donors, partners, vendors and the communities).
- Builds and leads an effective and cohesive management team for the operations group of HFH INDIA.
- Ensures adequate orientation and appropriate training of all staff members towards enabling them to perform their roles effectively.
- Works with his direct reports in ensuring that performance management and staff development is carried out for the whole team according to established HR processes.
- Collaborates with other members of the Senior Management Team to ensure synergy and coordination across the organization.
- Engages extensively in Coaching and Mentoring the direct reports
Key Qualities required:
- Must have extensive general management and leadership experience, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Must have substantial experience in the execution of complex projects including all phases of development including the coordination with key stakeholders including local/national relevant government authorities.
- Knowledge of client groups and/or issues related to the program.
- Has the capacity to handle both strategic and operational issues and address these to achieve the desired results.
- An effective team player and results-oriented.
- Knowledge in real estate business, shelter & affordable housing is a plus.
- Relevant work experience of 10 plus years with at least 5 years in senior management level.
- Proven record of leadership and influencing people for higher performance, ability to coach senior-level staff.
- Experience of managing and effectively delivering large scale program implementation.
- Willing and able to travel in programmatic areas to review, monitor progress and assist relevant regional heads.
- Proven ability to influence, challenge and negotiate at senior levels using sound judgement
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills and an approach that builds capacity rather than dependency, particularly with senior managers.
- Education qualification: – BE – Civil (preferred) MSW, specialization in Development Studies would be an added advantage, Certification in Project Management (PMP – Certification) is imperative
- Proficiency in languages – English and Hindi
How to apply:
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Madhu Malhorta or Tim Wingrove, email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please subject your email with the following reference: HHI_COO.
Please note that the interview dates for this role will be confirmed with you should your application be successful.