Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
For over 20 years, PSI has worked in Malawi with support from the Government of Malawi and international donors such as USAID, KfW, DFID, UNITAID, UNFPA and Unicef. Since 1994, PSI has implemented social marketing and social franchising programs with behavior change communication to deliver products and services for a wide range of health areas, including family planning and reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, child survival, and water-borne diseases. In 2017, PSI’s programs have helped the local population avert over 1 million disability-affected life years. As you’d expect with results like this, we are a hard-working, focused team who believe in what we do and enjoy working with each other to achieve such results.
PSI seeks highly qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Party for the DFID funded upcoming Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (Tsgolo Langa) Program. The candidate will provide effective leadership and day-to-day management of Tsogolo Langa to scale up access to modern contraceptives and sexual reproductive health and rights services with a special focus on adolescents and young women. This full-time position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and report directly to PSI Malawi’s Reproductive Health Technical Advisor.
This position is contingent upon project award.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will lead this project, managing the Tsogolo Langa partners and staff responsible for technical, financial, and operational activities. You will be directly responsible for the management and overall successful performance of PSI/Malawi’s flagship DFID RH program. You will:
Provide technical oversight
- Provide oversight of policy and technical guidance to implementing partners to ensure quality of SRHSR activities as well as the alignment of priorities
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting including annual work planning with technical and implementing partners, including capacity building and technical assistance
- Use project, country, and donor data to analyze project progress, update strategies and improve implementation
Lead program planning and execution
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current DFID projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables
- Develop and steward project deliverables and budgets consistent with both organizational and donor requirements
- Meet financial and other reporting requirements as required by DFID and PSI/Washington
- Ensure recruitment and performance management of all Tsogolo Langa staff
- Prepare detailed donor reports and consolidate Tsogolo Langa partner reports on a quarterly basis
- Monitor development and implementation of annual work plans, and serve as the catalyst for building capacity of national, provincial, and municipal stakeholders and government
- Supervise evidence-based research activities to support program decisions in order to evaluate and measure program effectiveness and to maximize health impact
- Assist the Country Representative with other duties as necessary
Build relationships and capacity among partners
- Provide overall oversight of the project and maintain effective and regular communication with donors, implementing partners, Malawian government entities, and the private sector
- Serve as the focal point for engaging in policy dialogue with the MOH at central, provincial and municipal levels in conjunction with donors on key issues relevant to increasing uptake for reproductive health and family planning services and products in Malawi
- Represent PSI/Malawi and all Tsogolo Langa partners in interactions with donors and government, NGO and private sector partners
- Foster relationships with the implementing partners of the DFID-funded Malawi Integrated Preventive Health Communication Program and Health System Strengthening project to maximize synergy
- Oversee the development of synthesizing and disseminating lessons learned from projects between implementing partners
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 10 years of work experience of managing a team in a developing country and project oversight experience.
- You have an MBA, MPH, MSC, MBA, MSW or other relevant advanced degree. An MPH is preferred.
- You have lived and worked in a developing country.
- You have demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets for International donors (e.g., USAID, KfW, Global Fund, DFID, etc.).
- You have experience and are passionate in building local technical, management and leadership capacity.
- You are fluent in English.
- You have significant project management, reporting, compliance, and leadership experience.
- References will be required.
What would get us excited?
- Experienced manager. You have been a Chief of Party or Project Leader of a large DFID-funded project before. You have ideally worked on these projects in Malawi.
- DFID experience. You understand DFID regulations and have experience implementing projects under DFID’s compliance standards.
- Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institutional, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
- Collaborative manager. You can inspire a shared vision for the project staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work. You can help others resolve conflict and excel as a team.
- Connector. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care companies, or global health donors. You can identify new donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot health trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about needs and opportunities in Malawi.
- Strategist and innovator. You are creative, innovative and strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.