Chief of Party
Project Concern International, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
PCI is recruiting for a Chief of Party (COP) to lead an anticipated multi-million dollar, USDA-funded project in Central and Southern Malawi that will improve literacy of school-age children and increase the use of health, nutrition, and dietary practices. The COP is responsible for the overall implementation of the project, and s/he provides technical and administrative supervision to the project. The COP will oversee coordination with key stakeholders (including the GOM, civil society, the private sector, and others) and lead preparation and oversite of any sub-agreement. Additionally, the COP will be responsible for communications with USDA, for publicly representing the project, and for liaising with the GOM and other institutions/stakeholders on issues related to food aid, nutrition, and education in Malawi, particularly in Central and Southern Malawi.
- Provide an integrated vision and lead execution of inter-related activities in food aid, nutrition, and education.
- Provide strategic leadership through vision, continuous improvement of quality, innovation and establishing a results-driven-management system.
- Mentor senior technical staff to develop standard operating guidelines, quality assurance and control systems, milestones, successful startup and efficient technical service delivery mechanisms.
- Provide strategic oversight for all activities and ensure to cost-effectively achieve project objectives.
- Oversee partners’ and sub-grantees’ performance by establishing accountability mechanisms in program, finance, commodity and data quality management.
- Develop systems to identify operational risks and their management and to reduce risks in project implementation.
- Establish a culture of evidence-based decision-making and data driven analytics through a well-developed monitoring and evaluation system.
- Assure good financial management of the project (e.g. budget execution, program-finance linkages, monitoring and reporting processes and procurement systems) and adhere to PCI and USAID financial policies and procedures.
- Oversee total compliance to PCI and USG regulations in all aspects of program implementation.
- Lead in establishing excellent communication protocols and working relationships with Government, donors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Establish a work culture that respects and prioritizes the needs of communities, especially the most vulnerable.
- Lead in managing human resources through recruitment, mentoring, setting performance objectives, rewarding and training project team members.
- Actively engage in PCI’s effort to embed innovation and support the project team in doing so as well.
- Master’s or post-graduate degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 15 years of professional experience, with progressively increasing responsibility managing complex, multi-million-dollar food aid or other related development projects.
- Minimum of 7 years of senior management experience with progressively increasing responsibilities managing development projects.
- Experience managing complex, multi-million dollar contracts and/or cooperative agreements funded by the US Government.
- Demonstrated delivery of strong results in a COP role.
- Experience in east or southern Africa, with preference for recent work in Malawi.
- Post-graduate degree in a related field.
- Relevant technical expertise in food aid, nutrition, and education.
- Experience working with senior government officials and building consensus among diverse actors, including NGOs (local and international), representatives of civil society, the private sector and USDA partners.
- Demonstrated abilities in USDA reporting, budgeting, procurement, and project management, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with US Government donor regulations.
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated experience recruiting, developing, and managing/mentoring staff.
- Development philosophy in keeping with PCI’s mission, vision, core values and approach to integrated, community-driven programming.
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills; excellent advocacy and persuasion skills; able to think critically.
- Strong financial management abilities.
- Fluency (verbal and written) in English. Job Location Blantyre, , Malawi Position Type Full-Time/Regular