FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Chief of Party for an anticipated Family Planning Opportunity in Nepal.
This position is subject to project award and funding.
The Chief of Party (COP) will provide strategic, managerial, technical leadership and management oversight to the project. S/he will oversee all aspects of project implementation, including program quality, personnel and financial management. S/he will ensure high quality of implementation of the project, coordinate regularly with the Government, the donors and other key stakeholders, which include other family planning partners. S/he will be responsible for timely and adequate implementation of project activities, deliverables, execution, monitoring and reporting of the project. The Chief of Party will manage a team of program and technical managers and work closely with the local NGO partners who will be the direct implementers of the project. This position is based in Kathmandu, Nepal, and will report to the Country Representative.
- Provides leadership to the project team, technical and operational aspects of the project, including planning and implementation of the project; ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, and encourages effective team-work;
- Provide strategic leadership and technical and managerial direction for the successful implementation of the project.
- Responsible for the overall performance and results of the project, including management and oversight of the program’s management and decision-making. Ensure that the project activities are meeting client and stakeholder expectations and that project results are proactively disseminated.
- Manage a team of program managers / officers and technical advisors in different areas of expertise, ensuring they get the support needed for maintaining high-quality implementation of the program activities, meeting deliverables and building capacity, as required.
- Manage all donor requirements for program implementation, including effective utilization of the budgets, and ensure project deliverables are achieved.
- Develop and maintain strong relations with key stakeholders including government (particularly Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP), Family Welfare Division, National Health Training Center, Logistic Management Section of Management Division, National Health Education, Information & Communication Center, USAID Global Health Supply Chain Management Project including , donors, and partners, coordinating regularly with them on project updates and results, and attend relevant technical working groups, conferences etc., as required.
- Manage a strong and positive relationship with the implementing partners and ensure accurate reporting – both programmatic and financial.
- Ensure project reports submitted to donors, government and other stakeholders are accurate, complete and on time.
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of donor resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with relevant donor standards.
- Coordinate with FHI 360/Nepal Country Office to ensure that program and reporting activities follow organizational standards.
- Strengthen the capacity of and transfer skills to local staff to independently implement, manage and improve business practice and technical services.
- At least a master’s degree or its international equivalent or higher in public health or a related area; Additional MD degree is preferable
- Minimum of 10 years of experience managing and leading technical and administrative teams for health projects focused on areas including health systems strengthening, family planning (FP)/ reproductive health (RH) and/or maternal/child health (MCH).
- Senior-level expertise in any of the following technical areas: RH/FP; MCH; Health Finance; Systems Strengthening. Experience with RH programming is required.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a managerial position such as Chief of Party or equivalent in Asia region/developing country.
- Experience in programmatic and financial management of large donor-funded program, experience in USAID projects will be beneficial.
- Experience and excellence in working with large, diverse teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; knowledge of local language will be an advantage
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.