Title: Chief of Party
Department: Anglophone Africa Market Group
Based in Namibia
Reports to Deputy Regional Director
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare by putting the consumer at the center and, wherever possible, bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
PSI is looking for a Chief of Party (COP) to help plan and coordinate all activities under a 5-year USAID-funded HIV Scaling up Access for Expanded Voluntary Medical Male Circumcisions Services (SAFE) Activity in Namibia.
The COP will have overall responsibility for coordination of all project activities and staff. S/he will be responsible for technical leadership and administrative oversight of the program and will serve as the principal institutional liaison to USAID. S/he will manage a team of senior staff and sub-partners and ensure quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the project. The Chief of Party shall be expected to have regular and transparent communication with the AOR. This position is based in Windhoek, Namibia, and is contingent on award.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Provide guidance and leadership to a dynamic implementation team and coordinate all project staff and activities
- Provide technical leadership and administrative oversight of the program
- Serve as the principal institutional liaison to USAID and serve as donor’s main point of contact on the program
- Develop and maintain excellent relations with Government leadership and other external stakeholders to ensure optimal coordination and strong partnerships
- Work closely with the Government of Namibia and other relevant institutions to ensure buy-in and sustainability of the interventions carried-out within the scope of the project
- Lead the management and coordination of local organizations and private sector partners
- Ensure overall achievement of program objectives and targets
- Help program directors set ambitious targets and monitor their performance and lead regular performance analysis;
- Expand, monitor, and identify opportunities for increased efficiencies and cost effectiveness and ensure best value for money.
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of donor resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with relevant donor standards.
- Coordinate and/or review donor reports, including financial and other reports as required by donors and PSI.
- Coordinate and share best practices and lessons learned documentation.
- Manage a team of senior staff and sub-partners and ensure quality, timeliness, and efficiency of all products and activities generated under the project
- Ensure strategic alignment of project objectives to country priorities
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- Ten (10) years of demonstrated successful leadership in managing large, complex, donor-funded programs within non-governmental organizations or private sector in a developing country context;
- Previous experience as Chief of Party on a PEPFAR-funded project
- Demonstrated leadership in fostering successful partnership approaches and relationships among a variety of organizations/institutions including government, private sector, local NGOs, and community-based organizations;
- Master’s degree in public health or other relevant degree related to project’s outcomes;
- Candidates must demonstrate recent, practical experience in managing large (at least $10 million annually) HIV/AIDS programs; in preference large VMMC programs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing for advocacy for health;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with senior level government officials, donors, and multilateral organizations; civil society, private sector and
- Current work authorization in Namibia preferred.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.
Due to high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log into your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.