Chief of Party
Closing Date for Applications:
Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated Afghanistan Market-Based Jobs for Peace (MJP) program. The purpose of this project is to address the pervasive widespread unemployment within the context of returning refugee and IDP populations in post-conflict environments, specifically by: creating sustainable private sector jobs in rural and peri-urban regions; improving workforce skills for employment, self-employment, and entrepreneurship; and enhancing the overall competitiveness of Afghan value chains. The MJP economic empowerment initiatives will target youth, women, internally displaced persons, returnees, and former combatants in rural and peri-urban areas. This position is based in Kabul, Afghanistan. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall project leadership, management, and technical direction;
- Supervise technical and administrative staff;
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, the host-country government, and local and regional partners;
- Ensure that all project assistance is technically sound, appropriate, and aligned with the program’s long-term vision;
- Direct implementation of the project’s strategic long-term vision;
- Oversees work planning, performance management, and strategic communications.
- Advanced degree in international development, conflict resolution, finance, business, economic development, or a related field preferred;
- Experience working in Afghanistan preferred, but not required;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in managing and implementing development projects of similar size and scope, preferably including experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment with populations similar to those MJP seeks to support;
- Experience working with communities in challenging environments to create employment opportunities and jobs, strengthen workforce-related skills and abilities, and enhance the competitiveness of value chains and otherwise engage marginalized populations in economic opportunities;
- Demonstrated experience establishing inclusive economic empowerment initiatives, ideally within a conflict or post-conflict setting;
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with civil society organizations to identify community needs, improve the enabling environment for investment and private sector progression, and attract investment into rural value chains;
- Strong facilitation, communication, collaboration, and leadership skills;
- Experience with adaptive management approaches;
- Personnel and resource management, coordination, and decision-making skills along with an ability to troubleshoot;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.