Chief of Party
Catholic Relief Services, Lilongwe, Malawi
Closing Date for Applications:
As a Chief of Party you will provide leadership and overall management of the Accelerating and Massively Scaling up Land and Livelihood Restoration project to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the delivery of high-quality programming and advance the position of CRS as a leading agency in the land restoration field. As a senior leader you will proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Lead all aspects of the development, implementation and consolidation of the Accelerating and Massively Scaling up Land and Livelihood Restoration project, including sharing how the project contributes to the thought leadership of the organisation. Serve as the primary point of contact to donor as well as public, private and non-government stakeholders.
- Ensure the project is designed and implemented to meet donor expectations in terms of timely and quality results and budget, including strategies for phase out and sustainability. Ensure coordination between program and operations leads. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage senior programming and operations talent. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Oversee the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans, and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance with donor grants, including financial tracking and oversight of partner budgets, finance, administration and reporting to donor. Approve program expenditures, budget adjustments, and cost modification requests to donors.
- Oversee the development of communication strategies and materials, complying with donor and CRS’ branding and marketing requirements and procedures.
- Coordinate relationships with consortium partner organizations, including organization of review/planning workshops. Contribute to coordination of the roles and activities of staff from other consortium member organizations in implementation in line with CRS partnership principles.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Identify performance gaps and training opportunities for CRS and partner staff and ensure the design and delivery of high quality training and technical assistance.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Master's Degree in International Development, Agriculture, Natural Resource Management or similar field required
- Minimum of 7 years' experience managing large scale development grants required, with preferably focusing in the area of Landscape Management and Restoration, Climate-Smart Agriculture or Agroforestry.
- 5 5 years’ experience managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Strong knowledge and experience in budget management.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching senior program staff
- Recognized leader in sector as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications, conference presentations etc.
- Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects, with complicated logistics.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
- Ability to represent and present at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Required Languages - List languages required to perform the job
Travel - include percentage of required travel, if applicable. Could be stated as Must be willing and able to travel up to 35 % in Malawi.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Technical Lead Markets and Value Chain, Project Manager and MEAL Specialist.
Key Working Relationships:
- Program Manager Agriculture and Livelihoods, Business Development Manager, Country Representative
- Donors and project partners
- Masters degree in International Development, International Relations or a relevant technical area. PhD preferred.
- 7 or more years’ relevant management and technical experience.
- 5 years experience managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Strong knowledge and experience in budget management.
- 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching senior program staff.