UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Inspire
The P 4 Child Protection specialist is accountable for the formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluation of Child Protection programme(s) to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the programme management, delivery, and accomplishment of programme goals and objectives.
She/He promotes intersectoral partnerships leading to responsive child protection systems build on the strengths of issue-specific programming; and which addresses specific forms of vulnerability.She/He contributes to synergize the work of United Nations agencies to achieve child protection results, including in humanitarian actions, working closely with the Child Protection Subcluster within the inter-agency standing committee (IASC) mechanism.
How can you make a difference?
- Programme Planning, Development, and Management
- Enhanceeffective sectoral or inter-sectoral collaborative partnerships in planning, development, and management by leading, guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of the Situational Analysis and its periodic update through accurate; and complete monitoring and analysis; and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input,leading to responsivechild protection systems build on the strengths of issue-specific programming which addresses specific forms of vulnerability, including those related to gender, disability, HIV, and indigenous populations and facilitate a measure of outcomes for different groups. Provide substantive advice, recommendations, and input in the formulation of country programme documents and plans of actions relating to the Child Protection programme.
- Takes primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for programme management, implementation, and monitoring of assigned sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined programme strategies and approaches
Promotion of UNICEF’s Global Goals
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking, and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes; and forgebroad-based partnershipsto raiseawareness and stimulate open dialogue on the rights of the child and practices that create social exclusion or harm children.
- Promote knowledge management by the exchange of knowledge, information, situation analysis, experience or lessons learned; promote knowledge sharing and technical input or recommendations on major programme directions and on the introduction of new initiatives in the country; using the know-how of academic and knowledge institutions to collect, analyze and use relevant data to further understanding of social norms and harmful practices to children, particularly girls.
Rights-Based and Results-Based Approach
- Promote the quality of rights-based Child Protection [programmes through participation in the formulation of programme goals, strategies, and approaches, collaborating with key partners to address themultiple aspects of the protective environment;and to bringcoherence, synergy and added value to sectoral or inter-sectoral management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring
- Takes primary responsibility for the development of the sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for programme management, implementation, and monitoring of assigned project/sectoral activity, in compliance with the defined programme strategies and approaches, with adequate consultation with relevant stakeholders. Support the maintenance of information systems for monitoring gender and sex aggregated data.
Programme Delivery,Evaluation, and Reporting
- Ensure programme, sectoral or inter-sectoral, efficiency, and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation. Participation in major evaluation exercises, programme reviews, and annual sector review meetings with government counterparts, with the involvement of all stakeholders. Ensure the preparation of annual Child Protection sector status reports, with the contribution of all media partners.
UNICEF and Government Accountability
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability; and to orientate and train Government and all UNICEF implementing partners in UNICEF supply and non-supply policies and procedures. Certifies disbursements of funds, monitors, and submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
- Ensure exchange of information, experience, identify new strategies and courses of action to accelerate/improve the delivery of services, and achieve Child Protection programme requirements and objectives. Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information. Conduct periodic programme reviews with Government counterparts and other partners.
- Collaborate with Communication and Programme Communication groups to ensure the development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization effortsin order to: enhancecollaborationwith media, civil society and involvement ofchildren and their families to support positive practices; engage dialogue with the private sector on good practices and corporate social responsibility; and strengthenpartnerships with bilateral and multilateral organizations, including International Financial Institutions (IFIs) and regional development Banks, to overall coordination with Regional Advisers and HQ Officers. Collaborate with other Programme/Project Officers to ensure the integration of the sectoral programme with other sectors.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of Child Protection programme planning and implementation, to coordinate financial and supply management requirements as well as to ensure accountability.
- Interact with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN, and bilateral agencies in the different stages of the Child Protection programme/project implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations. Provide technical support and guidance on appropriate technical, financial, and institutional capacity building measures to achieve Child Protection programme goalswith all key partners.
- In line with the Core Commitments for Children (CCCs) in Humanitarian Action, strengthen partnerships with child protection humanitarian actorswithin the inter-agency standing committee (IASC) mechanism, for preparedness, contingency planning and response.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in the social sciences, law, or other relevant fields.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience at the national and international levels in child protection, including international work experience for IP or fieldwork experience for NO.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication (II), Working with People (II), and Drive for Results (II).
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Deciding and Initiating Action
- Applying Technical Expertise