Purpose of the position:
The Child Protection Technical lead will provide overall strategic leadership in the Child Protection sector, guiding relevant programming in both development and refugee contexts across Uganda.
The jobholder will be a thought leader, driving continuous improvement in Child Protection programming through their technical expertise, facilitation of learning and innovation. This leadership shall be seen both within World Vision and externally with other key stakeholders across Uganda.
The jobholder be responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of World Vision Uganda’s Child and Adult Safeguarding Policy.
Child Protection programming
- Ongoing enhancement of World Vision’s Child Protection programming at strategy, programme and project design levels for greater impact on child well-being. This shall include:
- Lead ongoing design processes related to all Child Protection programmes and projects, including strategy alignment and review processes.
- Monitor programme and project quality at outcome and impact levels, facilitate evidence-based organizational learning processes and promote innovation for continuous improvement in programming impact.
- Support relevant reporting functions, particularly at outcome and impact level, notably including the bi-annual Child Well-being Report.
Support effective implementation of Child Protection programmes and projects through:
- Technical guidance and support to programme and project implementation.
- Technical capacity building of project staff, partner staff and other key stakeholders, as required.
Networking and Collaboration
- Engagement with key stakeholders for influence, learning and resource development:
- Actively represent WVU in key inter-agency fora
- Engage and build relationships with key partners and government counterparts
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the Grant Acquisition Business Plan through active engagement with relevant donors.
- Child protection sector national level advocacy
Engage in national level advocacy:
- Work in close collaboration with Advocacy Department to advocate for policy change with national-level government stakeholders.
- Collaborate and guide advocacy campaigns, as appropriate.
- Act as spokesperson for WVU on Child Protection issues, as required.
Safe guarding policy
- Accountable for effective implementation of WVU’s Child and Adult Safeguarding Policy.
- Provide effective management to child protection technical team.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
Education:Post-graduate degree in development studies, social work or other relevant field is a requirement.
- Academic and/or direct programming experience and expertise in the field of child protection and/or child rights advocacy.
Experience:Minimum of 5 years’ experience in technical leadership and/or field-based programme management roles in Child Protection sector.
- Experience with relevant technical models such as WV’s Child Protection & Advocacy model or INSPIRE approaches.
- Track record of success in grant fundraising, including donor relations and proposal writing.
- Experience in working with gender-based violence issues a strong advantage
- Experience in Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Strong capacity in leadership, relationship management/networking, and coordination is essential.
- Proven conceptual & analytical skills, ability to take an evidence-based approach to programme design
- Proactive personality, self-driven and strongly motivated.
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – Ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Demonstration of well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven facilitation skills.
- Team player